The Waking of a Lover

Alec POV

Jace and I walked up to Magnus' apartment building. Recently, well since he had found out that my ex-boyfriend scared Clary and Isabelle, Jace had been playing protector and refused to let any of us go to see Magnus without him. Just as he had earlier when he had apparently walked in on a Downworld meeting.

We took the steps two at a time and soon reached the loft. I went to knock but the door opened as soon as my hand touched it.

The door had swung wide open and what I saw made my blood run cold. Shattered glass and a red substance was on the floor.

But that wasn't even the worst of it. Magnus was laying in the middle of the floor sprawled out. He looked dead. Mom and Catarina were around him talking in low voices with grimaces on their faces.

"Magnus?!" I exclaimed and ran forward. Jace wrapped his arms around my waist and held me against him, limiting my movement. I bucked and fought him but he wouldn't release me.

"Please Jace let me go" I begged, it physically hurt seeing him like that. Reluctantly, Jace released me from his arms, which acted like a cage.

I pushed passed Mom and Catarina, and grabbed Magnus. I sat down on the floor and held him close to me, his back to my chest. I buried my face in his neck, inhaling the scent that was purely Magnus, to ground myself.

My hand found his wrist and I felt the weak thump of his heartbeat, it was barely there but there nonetheless. I drew in a sigh of relief and kissed his pulse point, which gave a slightly stronger thump against my lips.

"Please, please, please, please, please," I changed, drawing in shaky breaths. "Please Magnus"

"His pulse his stronger" Catarina stated, sounding surprised.

"Why?" Mom and Jace said simultaneously.

"Emotions and a Warlock's magic are very closely intertwined. The ferocity, the aggressiveness of an attack by magic is often depicted by how the warlock feels about it. This might be a similar instance. When Alec broke up with Magnus is when this all started. It allowed all of this magic to be unleashed. But it also resulted in pain, I'm guessing; physical emotional and mental" Catarina said.

"So I did this to him?" I asked, thoughts of guilt and self-loathe already filling my mind.

" There is a possibility. If that was true, then there is only one mystery left for us to solve with my dear friend or one that I'm curious about" Catarina replied softly, but it didn't help. I was already destroying myself for everything wrong I had ever done to him up to this point.

"And what's that?" Jace asked.

"His blood concentration is odd. The amount of demon blood in it is questionable" Cat replied.

"Oh. He has a natural higher demon blood concentration. It's like 10% human and 90% demon blood. Apparently, it's natural, something about the fact that he has a powerful demon parent and some other stuff" Jace answered, leaving everyone else shell-shocked.

"How do you know?" Maryse asked, her eyebrows furrowed.

"Oh I was at Warlock shop, club, bar, thing doing, minding my own business and I caught the High Warlock buying questionable things. So I obviously took a video to send to Alec, because why not, it was his boyfriend and I'm his parabatai. Anyway, I was caught and then brought here and was in the library like forever until he started explaining stuff" Jace replied.

"What exactly are questionable things?" I asked.

"Uh, he won't like kill me or anything right? I mean like if he survives this and, you know, doesn't go to the Dark Side" Jace said, looking concerned.