The Novak's

The Novak household
June 5th
2002

"Mummmm!" Lucifer ran downstairs, almost tripping as he reached the bottom.
He was pursued closely by his pain in the butt 5 year old brother Gabriel, who had the biggest grin on his face as he continued to squirt Lucifer with paint.

"MUM!!!" Lucifer ran outside, slamming the door shut in Gabriel's face but of course that didn't deter the little trickster for long.

"MUMMY!"

"What!?" Becky looked up in time to see her son plough into her, covered in fresh paint. "Lucifer!"

"It was Gabriel!" Lucifer cried. "He started it."

Becky just sighed. "Of course it was, don't worry I'll talk to the little troublemaker."

Lucifer grinned.

"But don't you think that I'll be letting you off that easily mister, look at the paint you got on me," Becky was starting to think she would never be able to control her two wildest kids. She had hoped that Lucifer would calm with age, but here he was 7 years old and still getting into little wars with Gabe.

"Go get cleaned up, I need to get back to Cassie before Gabriel thinks that toddlers are great additions to prank wars."

Lucifer's eyes light up mischievously.

Becky, noticing this, shakes her head. "Don't even think about it Lucifer."

Pouting, Lucifer instead turns and runs over to the front gate. His best friend Michael stood there already, waiting.

Gabriel had smartly stayed hidden from his mother while Lucifer had told on him. He didn't think that was fair, after all he hadn't tattle tailed on the older boy when he had covered Gabe in slime.

Currently he sat in the attic, grinning as he listened to his mother's voice calling out to him. Once he knew she wouldn't find him, he crawled over to the small window and looked out.

His friend, Charlie's house was sitting empty across the road. He hadn't seen her since the police took her away, and like always he wondered if she was okay.

His mummy had told him that she was with a new family now because something bad had happened to her family, but he didn't really understand what that meant.

All he knew was now he had no friends.

"Gabriel! I know you're up there!" Becky was banging on the attic entrance now. "But get your ass down here, or you're gonna be late to Dance!"

Gabriel grins, scrambling out of his hiding spot. He was down the ladder before Becky had a chance to start yelling again, and hurried to grab his dance gear. 

He had his first solo in the next weeks competition and he really wanted to win. He had spent every lesson this week training and working on it, he practiced it everywhere. At home, at school and even when he went shopping with his mum. Gabriel was the shortest and youngest kid in the group, and he was determined to prove himself. This solo was his best chance. 

Lucifer was already in the car, glaring at his younger brother. Lucifer also danced, but while he preferred a more hip hop style, Gabriel thrived when it came to acrobatics.

"Mum, can we get ice cream after dance?" Gabriel gave his mother his best puppy eyes. 

"Maybe, but only if you both behave."

Lucifer smirked, reaching over and pinching Gabriel. "Yeah, you have to behave."

Gabe slaps his brother's hand away. "Stop it!"

Becky just shakes her head with a sigh, and starts the car. Possibly wondering if her kids would ever be normal. 

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

The audience was massive, it was the first competition of the year in this region and Gabriel was bouncing nervously backstage as he waited for his turn. He felt sick, his stomach doing flips as he smoothed down his outfit. Lucifer lounged next to him, much calmer than Gabe. 

"Don't worry brother, you'll do fine."

Gabriel breathed out shakily. Yeah, he would be fine, he could do this. 

"And next up we have Gabriel with his solo, candyland!" 

Gabriel feels a nervous squeak escape his mouth. Here it was, his first ever time on stage alone. Taking a slow, deep breath to steady himself, Gabriel skips out to the center stage.

Gabriel had never been so scared in his life as he performed the routine. He somehow managed to keep his showman smile on his face as he danced around the stage, feeling relief at every successful flip, split and turn. 

Finally, he was stretching his leg up over his head, giving the judges a charming smile before somersaulting into his final position. Then, he was skipping back off the stage with the roaring cheers and claps filling the building. 

"Woo! That was amazing Gabe!" Lucifer hi-fived his little brother.

"I did it..." Gabriel felt breathless. "My first solo!"

The two spent the rest of the time sitting together, watching the rest of the dancers do their thing. And then, finally, it was time for the awards. 

"Third place in junior solos goes to... Lucifer Novak!" 

Lucifer jumps up with a large smile, excitedly accepting his trophy and waving to where their teacher and mum sat. 

"Second place... Amy Pond!" A small blonde haired girl races up to accept her prize.

"And finally, in first place.... Gabriel Novak!" 

Gabriel could barely believe it. His mouth hurt from smiling ear to ear as he stumbled over to accept his trophy. He had won, he did it. He was finally a true dancer.

After the dancers were dismissed to go to their families, Gabriel barrels into Becky, still smiling widely. 

"I did it mum!!"

Becky laughed, picking him up and hugging him tightly. "You sure did! I'm so proud of you Gabey!" Then she pulled Lucifer into the hug. "And you too Luce, you were amazing!"

Gabriel had never felt better in his entire life.