The birth of Destiel

The Winchester's
Sam

That day, for the first time in a long time, Sam went home from school with a wide smile on his face. Everything was brighter in his eyes, happier. 

Dean had been curious when Sam had come up to him after school with a smile on his face and lollipop in hand. Now as they walked home, he kept glancing down at Sam, but Sam didn't care, all he could think about was his friend.

He really couldn't believe that they had actually ended up going to the same school.

"So... Sammy," Dean tapped Sam's arm to get his attention. "Did'ya have a good day at school?"

Sam nods, unable to stop his smile from growing wider. 

"I did too, I meet this other kid, Michael, and we ended up playing a school-wide game of tag, it was mega cool." Dean hummed, kicking a large stone along the footpath. "He said that tomorrow I could play with him and his friend, you can come if you want."

Sam shook his head, sticking the lollipop back into his mouth. He already had plans to play with Gabriel and Castiel tomorrow. 

"Do you have a friend or something?"

Sam nods, his attention distracted from his brother when he saw a familiar trio of boys up ahead. Without a second glance at his brother, he takes off. Running across the pavement, his scruffy sneakers slapping loudly on the concrete which drew the attention of the three boys.

"Sammy!" Gabriel grins, hugging the smaller boy when he caught up with them. "You should have called."

Sam rolled his eyes, Gabriel's tone was obviously joking but he still gives him his best bitch face. One day, he would master the art of bitch faces, but for now it just makes Gabe laugh.

"Hello Sam." Castiel pushes his glasses back up his nose. 

"Sammy, just the kid I wanted to see," surprisingly, this came from Lucifer. "I'm having my birthday party next month, wanna come? Your brother can too."

A birthday party? Sam had never been invited to a party before. It felt weird, but a nice weird. Finally, he had friends. He nods eagerly, grinning up at the taller boy. 

"Sammy?" Dean came up, slightly breathless. 

"Hey, you must be Deano, I'm Gabriel, Sammy's friend." Gabriel stuck a lollipop of his own in his mouth. 

"I'm Lucifer, and this is Cassie," Lucifer ruffles Castiel's fluffy black hair. 

Cas hits Lucifer's hands away, glaring at him as he straightened his hair. "It's Castiel."

Dean was looking at Castiel with wide eyes. Sam giggled as he watched his normally cool brother go bright red and stick out his hand. 

"Hi... hiya Casti- Castie... Castiel..?" 

Castiel nods as Dean finally pronounces it right, shaking his hand and tilting his head slightly. He seemed to be studying Dean, the two locked in some sort of staring contest. 
Little did they know, it was the birth of what will one day be called Destiel. 

"Do you like comics?" Dean asks. 

Sam expected Castiel to say no, the boy didn't seem into those kind of things, so he was surprised when Castiel nods. 

"We have a treehouse at home that I like to read them in, would you like to come over to my house?"

"Yes!" Gabriel jumps in, "and Sammy can hang out with me!"

Dean hesitates, finally looking away from Castiel to look at Sam. "Would that be okay Sammy?"

Sam nods enthusiastically, Gabriel's house was better than their stupid home foster home any day.