The hunter became the hunted

Sioux Falls
March 20th
2006

He had been tracking the bastard for years now. He had long since stopped caring for his own life, witness protection be damned. What was the point of having the skills he had if he couldn't use them to avenge her... and the children. Oh the boys, how he wanted to go up to the and pull them into a crushing hug.

He had thought himself cried out years ago, but now tears fell down his cheeks as he watched his hurting children smiling. They had found happiness, and he knew he should be happy, hell he was happy for them. 

He couldn't focus on that now though. Not if he ever wanted the chance to be reunited with his children. Still... they looked so much older, the thought of missing out on their childhood ripped a hole through his tattered heart.

A car pulls up just ahead of his boys, and he immediately dried his tears up as anger filled his veins with cold ice. That bastard would pay. It had taken a while but finally he was here.

"I found you." John Winchester grips the steering wheel tightly, eyes narrowed on the man in the car. "And now I'm going to put a bullet through the middle of your frucking head."
All these years of hell had finally paid off.

~~~~~

Lawrence, Kansas
4 years earlier

John had known that when he had become a police officer that he would be in danger on the job. What he had never guessed was that those dangers would also exist in his day-to-day life. 

It had been a particularly hard day on the force, a double homicide only a few streets away from their home had everyone on their toes. The killer had escaped, and they had spent the last 10 hours working on catching him but he had just been too good at covering his tracks. 

"I've been telling you John, we need to move, I don't want the kids growing up in this neighborhood." Mary wrapped her arms around herself, peering nervously out into their dark backyard. "What if that had been us?"

John was tired, emotionally wrung out from dealing with emotion witnesses and yeah, he was guilty that they had to live in this place. But they still had to pay off a few more bills before moving was a financially smart idea. 

"We'll be okay Mar, I promise." John kisses his wife's forehead. "How about I take a shower and then we watch a movie together?"

Mary nods, her eyes still on the backyard. 

"He's not out there, okay? He'll be laying low for a while now."

After his shower, John looked in on the boys on his way downstairs. They looked so peaceful... well Sammy did with his half open mouth drooling onto his Spider man pillowcase. His hair sticking in all direction.

"Dean, buddy, why are you still awake?"

Dean, ever the terrible actor, squeezed his eyes shut harder, as if that would make him look more asleep. 

"Dean?"

Dean opens his eyes, looking guiltily up at his father. "Sorry daddy, I can't sleep."

John smiles, sitting on the edge of the small bed. "What's up kiddo?"

Dean shrugs, picking at his batman sheets. "I dunno."

John ruffles his hair. "Well, how about you keep trying, and tomorrow we can play catch out back."

Dean lights up, "Really?" 

John felt bad, he had barely been around for Dean this past week. Work had just been so busy and now with the homicide case... but no, he would make time for his son. "Really, now get some sleep." He kisses Dean's forehead. "Night bud."