The golden boy and the quiet boy

^^^My sabriel doodle^^^^

January 24th
2004

The Winchester's

'Happy birthday De.'
Dean held the messily scribbled, handmade card that Sam had given him. A small smile made it's way onto his face even as his eyes burned with tears.

"Thanks Sammy." He ruffled the smaller boy's hair. "Your spelling has gotten good, nerd."

Sam just smiled, his eyes solemn.

For Dean, his 8th birthday was a painful reminder that yet another year had passed without his mum and dad.

They had been put in several houses over the last year, and by now he had thought that that night would be a blurry memory and that's that. But Dean still lay awake at night, having the same nightmares over and over. It didn't help that they had ended back under Miss Lilith's care.

Even now all he wanted for his birthday was his mummy and daddy back.

He helped Sammy grab his bag, still sure that the 5 year old was much too young to be starting school. As far as he was concerned, Sam was much safer here at the home rather than at a school full of kids who would target him for being different.

Maybe Dean just missed Charlie.

"Okay you little shits, grab your gear and get going or you'll be late."

Dean hurries to obey, dragging Sam behind him. He wasn't going to lie to himself, Miss Lilith scared him, and for good reason too.

Once they got to school, Dean reluctantly left Sam with the receptionist before being ushered away to his classroom.

Sam

Sam played with the hem of his over sized plaid shirt (it was actually Dean's old one), watching the lady Dean had left him with go through some paper work. He had thought starting a new school for the first time had been bad enough at the start of the school year, but having to transfer now was even worse. At least he now knew what school was like.

"Okay sweetie, I'll take you down to meet your teacher now."

Sam simply nods. It wasn't like he was going to reply anyway. He was trembling all over, following her down the hall. He hated school, hated being the new weird kid.

He wished Dean was here, Dean stopped all the bullies just by looking at them. Sam was grateful for his brother's fighting skills.

"Here we are, Mrs Tran, I have your new student here."

Sam felt like he was going to throw up.

"Ah, you must be Samuel, come on in."

Sam hesitated, twisting his fingers as he walked into the room, feeling all eyes instantly falling on him. Behind him, he could hear the first lady quietly explaining his quietness to Mrs Tran.

"Okay Samuel, why don't you take a seat over there."

"Miss! Why doesn't he have to say something about himself?" Several other kids whisper in agreement.

"Well kids, that is because Sam he doesn't talk."

Sam dreaded this part, quickly taking his seat and lowering his head as the questions start.

"Why not?"

"Is he simple?"

"Didn't his parent's teach him?"

Sam felt his ears start burning. Mrs Tran tries to get everyone to settle down, but the kids around Sam were curious and loud. Sam just pulled out his pencils and paper, and started drawing in order to block out the burning questions.