A new home

September 1st
2005

Dean had never thought he'd see the day when they finally left Lilith and her cruel home behind them.

It was a cold, dreary day. The trees growing bare as the crisp autumn air carried the colorful leaves to the ground.

Sammy stood next to him, face fixed in its permanent frown as he watched the car pull up put front.

"It'll be okay Sammy," Dean took his brother's hand, squeezing it reassuringly.

"Right, you boys ready?" The lady stepped forward, warm smile.on her face.

Lilith was watching, her face colder than the air around them. It sent shivers down Dean's spine as he stared right back. Those eyes, he knew, would join his parent's killer in his nightmares.

"It's okay, you can say your goodbyes."

Dean couldn't stand the thought of saying another word to the evil woman, no he'd rather go in that horrid dark hole of a cupboard again. "Come on, Sammy." He tugged Sam's hand, "let's go."

With each step down the wooden stairs, Dean felt a bit lighter. He felt closer to freedom. He was getting his brother out.

"You'll love the new house, don't you worry." The lady placed a hand on his shoulder, ignoring his wince as she continued. "And of course the new school is going to be perfect for the both of you, they have an advanced student program that I just know little Sammy will thrive in."

Dean was the only one who called Sam Sammy, it sounded very wrong to his ears to hear her say that. A glance back at the horrible house, and then he climbed into the car, feeling more tired than ever. Sam sat next to him, unreadable eyes staring out the window as the car pulled away.

Letting his thoughts drift to those of their new home, hoping that it might be nicer than Lilith's. Fearing that it might be worse.

What happened if it were worse? He couldn't take any more beatings, he wasn't sure if he could handle being locked up.

Sam startled him out of his thoughts by slapping his arm. His round, hazel eyes wide with worry as he looked up at his older brother.

Dean felt faint, his chest hurt and was this what a heart attack felt like? He was fairly sure that he was dying.

Sam grabbed his hand, squeezing it tightly. That small, comforting gesture sent warmth into Dean's heart. Even now, after everything, Sammy was there for him.

Cheered ever so slightly, he looked out the window at the passing houses. He began to dream up what the next home would be like, would their caregivers be kind? He could see it now, in his minds eye. A kind lady who smelled of cookie dough and pie. A man who wanted to play catch with them... the perfect, fear free home.

~~~~~

He was shaken awake by the care-worker who had driven them. Her warm smile calming him as he sat upright in a panicked state.

"We're here."

He rubs the sleep from his eyes, immediately looking for Sammy who was no longer sitting next to him. Instead, he found the boy standing outside the car with a solemn look on his face as he stared up at the large house.

Dean reluctantly got out as well, shivering in the cool fall air. Dried leaves skitter past, carried by a breeze. Dean wanted to climb right back into the car.

"It'll be okay boys, you will be looked after here." The nice woman kneels down next to them. "And maybe if you're good, they'll let you visit Miss Lilith again if you miss her this much."

Dean certainly hoped that they didn't.

He felt Sammy grab at his hand, the brother's linking hands as they stared up at the large sign that read; 'Mrs Macleod's home for Orphaned children.'

This wasn't like any home they had been in before, because this was an actual orphanage, not a foster home. Dean had heard horrible tales from other foster children. When they had had no one to take them in and had instead been sent to horrid places like this.

"Don't be afraid, Mrs Macleod is very nice, and she even has a son of her own that's your age Dean."

Sammy huddled closer to Dean.

"Grab your bags boys, I'll take you up to meet her."

His bag felt as if it weighed a hundred kg's. Which he knew was a lot because at school they'd lifted 10 kg bags in math and that had been heavy. He swings it onto his shoulder, biting his lip.

The path leading up to the front door was well worn. Dean's boot sneaker caught on a crack and he winces as the concrete presses into the hole and scratches his skin.

He struggles to catch his balance and ends up sprawling face first on the hard ground.

"Oh kiddo, are you alright?"

"Ye would do best to avoid that part of the path, it's a nasty wee spot."

Dean pushed himself up, grumbling in pain. A short boy stood in front of him, a wry smile on his face.

"You mus'be the new kid, I'm Crowley."

Dean looked at the boy's out stretched hand, tentatively shaking it as the boy continued to speak in his odd accent.

"This your brother? My ma told me all about you."

Sammy came up behind Dean, grabbing his hand as the older boy straightened himself out.

"Well hi there Crowley, is your mother ready for us?"

The boy nods, turning and running up the front steps.

"Fergus! Where are you?"

"Mother the new boys are here!" Crowley, or Fergus... Dean wasn't sure which is was now, calls out.

"Oh lovely." A tall, red haired woman steps out the front door. "Welcome boys, thank you for bringing them to me Madison."

"Of course," the nice lady, Madison knelt in front of Dean. "Now you two behave, I just know you'll be fine here."

Sam simply stares at her with his ever present solemn gaze. Dean nods, but he had quickly learnt from Lilith that when the caseworkers said it would be nice there, they were often lying.

At least Crowley seemed nicer than Alastair.

~~~~~~
Quick A/N

Oof this took a while to get done, I got sidetracked with applying for study next year and working on the first two chapters of my book for my other wattpad but hopefully things will fast track in this book from here, I need the ships to come into it soon haha