The treehouse friends

Three weeks later
Dean

Dean was impatient for school to end. It was finally the weekend and Cas had declared that they would be going down to the creek behind his house after school. Apparently there were lots of frogs, fish and bees there and Dean just had to see it. 

"Mikey, psst Mikey," Lucifer, who was now sitting at Dean's row, was poking the sleepy looking Michael next to him. "Mikey wanna come over after school?"

"Sure," Michael sighs, rubbing his eyes. "But can we go to the shop first? I want to buy a new book."

Dean shook his head, "why don't you just read comics like the rest of us?" 

"Because comics are stupid."

Both Lucifer and Dean gasp, clutching their hearts. Dean couldn't believe it, how dare Michael say such a thing? He decided that he would have to get Michael to try a comic, just to prove that they weren't stupid. 

He would talk to Lucifer later, Lucifer always knew how to get Michael to do something. He chewed his lip, thinking this through as the bell's shrill ring finally fills the air. He grabs his bag, jostling with Lucifer as they race for the door, Michael following close behind. 

Freedom, at last. It was also the start of a great weekend, tomorrow night would be his and Sammy's first sleep over. 

"Deano!" Gabriel ran over, already with Sam. Those two had become pretty much inseparable outside of class time. Cas was right behind them.

"Heya Cas!" Dean ran over to the smaller boy.

"Wow, did you see that? He just ignored me!" Gabriel glares at Dean. 

"Hello Dean," Castiel grins, pushing his glasses up his nose. "Are you ready to go?"

Dean nods, he was so excited. Castiel grabs his hand and they run off, leaving their siblings to glare after them. They run through the school gates, giggling as they dart down the streets. 

Dean's backpack thumped steadily against his back. The surprisingly warm afternoon sun was free of the receding clouds. When he looked at Cas, his friend's eyes were a glowing blue in the bright light. Cas grins back at him, and grabs his hand. 

This was the Cas that Dean loved hanging out with the most, the relaxed Castiel. He was always more formal and quiet at school, but when it was just the two of them... Dean loved making his friend laugh.

They reach the Novak's house, slipping around to the back yard. Dumping their backpacks under the tree house, Cas leads Dean down the back of the long backyard. 

"Its through here!" Castiel was pretty much buzzing with excitement now, his eyes shiny as he looks back at Dean. "The panel's loose."

Sure enough, one of the panels in the fence was slightly ajar. Cas pushes his glasses up his nose before grabbing onto it. It takes him a moment to shift it, but finally they can see the other side. The long, green grass seemed to be calling them, Dean was eager to follow a wriggling Cas through the small gap. They giggle, looking back at the house. Dean could see the small, distant forms of Sam and the Novak siblings finally reaching the house. 

"De, come on!" Cas had already taken off, running down the grassy slope. "Race you!"

"No fair!" Dean jumps into a sprint, racing after his friend. He loved the feeling of the long grass under his shoes. He stretches his arms out, enjoying the feeling of the air rushing by. Cas was just a few feet ahead of him, the boy's glasses were askew and he had his eyes closed as he ran gleefully along. Dean had never had a best friend before, but he was glad that Cas was his. He never wanted to stop being friends.