The Photography Project

It was finally the last class of the day, a time where all the students were restless and impatient as they all watched the clock slowly tick closer to home time. Even Castiel had grown bored of their teacher's presentation on good composition. Sure, he loved photography but they had literally spent the entire lesson sitting here and listening to their teacher drone on. It sucked. 

Another thing that sucked was that Sam Winchester was also in his class. What were the odds? Why on earth did the Winchester pick photography of all electives to do. He was also in Castiel's other elective class, Law and Ethics. It wasn't even funny, it was like the universe had something out for Castiel, was trying to force him to talk to the Winchester's. 

He glances towards the clock for the hundredth time that day, only five minutes to go. The energy in the classroom was restless and excited now, everyone sat on the edge of their seats, hands on their bags. 

"Now, as for your homework-"

The teacher was interrupted by a collection of groans. Mr Palmer simply rolls his eyes, grinning at his disinterested students. 

"Homework." He pulls on his purple tie thoughtfully, "I know, a pain, but this week its something a bit different, I want you all to do this as group... no a pair."

Castiel was the one to groan now, as everyone else cheered and sent meaningful glances towards their friends.  

"In pairs, which means no threesomes boys." He was looking at a group of boys in the corner who were obviously trying to indicate they should all work together. "In pairs, I want you to make a collection of sorts, a portfolio per say," Mr Palmer spread his palms out. "I want you to each take four or five photos that represent your lives, personally, and then while working together, fill in the blanks around those personal photos... create a story!"

He starts to hand out papers. "I want to look at these photos and feel something, okay? I want to see the how you use photos to tell a story about you, and them - them being the two of you - and then go on to show the differences between the both of you. I'm talking portraits, scenery, abstract shots, black and white... anything you want." 

Castiel blinks, none of this was making sense and the closer the teacher got to him, the clammier his palms got. He really, really didn't want to do this. Mr Palmer wasn't making it any easier, he was talking in such a confusing manner that nothing about this made sense.

"I want you to get to know your partner, get close to them, learn about their life's story, and then you will take photos that tell a story about them, that's the catch kiddos, you won't be telling your own story, but their story."

Mr Palmer placed a paper on Castiel's desk. "But don't just think you can take a few photos about each other and be done, I want you to remember to fill in the blanks, the space between those two people. Your differences, the journey between being one person and being the other..." He stops his rambling, taking a deep breath. "Right, those papers have some guidelines on them and the deadline, at the top you'll find your partners name."

Castiel flips his paper over, his stomach knotting up with nerves. Printed neatly at the top of his paper was the name 'Sam Winchester'. Great. Already other people were moving towards their partners, excited chatter filled the air. 

"You'll notice," Mr Palmer nearly had to shout to be heard over the noise. "That I have tried my best to pair you up with people you may not know very well, after the point of this is to get to know someone new."

As it was, this was the exact kind of situation that Castiel hated. Socializing was terrifying. The fact that he was partnered with Sam Winchester made it all the more horrible.