What an anniversary...

March 15th
2006

Dean

Dean really didn't want to go to school today. Laying in his bed, he stares blankly at the wall of his room as he tried to think of a good excuse to stay home. He was exhausted after a sleepless, nightmare filled night, all he could think about was his parents. How many years had it been now? Four? He couldn't stand to think that it had been four years since he had hugged his mum, or roughhoused with his father. 

He wondered if Sammy remembered much of them. The boy always seemed to be even quieter than usual on the anniversary. (Dean hadn't thought Sammy could get any quieter.) 
Right on time, his alarm goes off, sending dread through his chest. He really didn't want to go to school today. 

He dragged himself through his usual morning routine, feeling heavy and slow as he shuffled downstairs. Sammy was already sitting at the table, his wide, hazel eyes staring blankly into space. 

"Morning Dean, make sure to eat your breakfast." Rowena floats by, carrying plates of eggs on toast to the table. 

Dean can't find it in himself to reply, his chest felt hallow as he took his seat beside Sammy. 
Crowley, Meg, Kevin and Alex were already seated at the table, the three other orphans were teasing Crowley for dropping a mouthful of egg on his lap. 

"Squirrel! You made it down here at last." 

Dean glares at Crowley, stabbing at his eggs. 

"Now now Fergus, be kind to the poor lad," Rowena clicked her tongue at her son. "Today's the anniversary of his poor parents deaths."

"Mother! My name is Crowley, Fergus is a little kids name," Crowley huffed.

Dean felt his eyes prickle, the eggs blurring in front of him. He felt a small hand fumble with his, little Sammy was holding his hand tightly, his lips pressed into a thin line. He hated seeing his brother so sad. 

"Now hurry up and eat children, we wouldn't want you to be late to school now, would we?"

Dean can't seem to put away a single mouthful of food. He never could on this day. 

***

School was too loud. The kids rushed by laughing and screaming, friends called out to each other from across the quad and parents were calling out goodbyes to their children. Happy families that lived together in their warm houses, that got to hug each other whenever they wanted. Children who's parents could still read bedtime stories to... Dean was horrified to find tears running down his face.

Dean Winchester didn't cry. 

He hurries towards a bathroom, planning on cleaning his face before anyone could see. That was, at least, until he caught sight of something that made his blood boil. 

Some older douche bag of a kid had his little brother pinned up against the brick walls of the building as his friends laughed and egged him on. Sammy was wriggling frantically and even from this distance Dean could see the tears running down his face. 

No one hurt his Sammy.

He ran up to the boys, angry and ready to fight. "Let go of my brother!" 
Blood pounded in his ears, all he could see was the twerps hand gripping a fistful of Sammy's shirt. 

"Dude, Dean Winchester's here," one of the bully's friends had already spotted Dean. The fear in his voice was satisfying to hear, maybe they would think twice before hurting Sammy again.

"Dean, how good to see you again." The bully let go of Sammy, turning to grin at Dean. His smug expression had Dean clenching his fists. "I was just having a nice little chat with your brother here."