chapter 5

I woke up late and had to scramble to get ready for work.  Crap do I have time to get coffee? I threw on my clothes and went over to my purse and searched for my phone.  Oh no not again!  Damit! I had no choice I grabbed my car keys oh yea no car!  Life hates me!    I sat back and dialed up my phone maybe someone found it and I can get it back.  It rang and Shannon answered it. Me" why do you have my phone? ".   S" you left it in my car, your welcome ".  Me" oh dear god, I'm gonna be late for work ".  S" want a ride? ".   Me " can I have my phone back too? ".  S" maybe ".   Me" seriously your gonna make me late ".  S" do you want a ride or not? ".    I took a deep breath and exhaled and said " yes please ".  He hung up and I was thinking well..... ok now.  I finished up getting ready and I could hear him pull up.  I looked out and holy crap he looked so sexy. Nope he's just a ride that's all.  I walked out and he got out to open my door and I was impressed.  Gentlemen. He smiled and closed it when I got in. S" so where's work? " oh yea there's that.   Me " hospital on Seventh downtown ".   S" what floor do you work on? ".   Me" trauma ward ".    S" see a lot of blood? ".   Me" yea that and body parts and screaming patients. ".   S" sounds like fun.......I guess".   I laughed and knew he had no idea.  We pulled up and he handed me my phone.  Me" thank you for the ride ".  S" and your phone ".  Me" yea ".    He smiled and I got out to head inside.   I reached the doors and he caught me.   S" I wanna get to know you better ".  Me" you do? ".   S" yes, in fact we are doing a show this Friday at the Hollywood bowl , maybe you could come. ".   Me" sure I'd love to but I have a 12 hour shift that day ".  He looked at me and said " yea its ok ".   I stepped in the door and he blurted out " then I will see you whenever I guess".  And left.  Oh ok.  Doctors were running everywhere I put my things away and joined in the madness. My first patient was a child who had gotten in a bad accident and I felt my heart drop. He was only 6, his parents and family were upset and surrounding his bed.  I knew today wasn't gonna be easy for me.  I was assigned to his room among others.  I washed my hands and headed back to his room and his family looked like they had been through hell very worn out and needed a break.  Me" I can take over if you guys need breather ". His mom agreed to leave for a bite to eat and the rest of his family followed.   I took a seat by his bed and took his vitals and got another IV bag ready to be hung up again. His eyes opened too look at me and a smile lit up his cheeks. I looked at his wrist to verify his name from his chart and scanned it.  His name was chase.  C" hello ". Me " well hello there how did you sleep? ".  C" I'm sore it hurts ".  I looked down and noticed his tiny arm was in a cast.  Poor little guy. Me" its gonna feel better soon i promise ".  He held up his teddy bear and handed it to me.  Me" oh he's cute does he have a name? ". C" buttons ".  I laughed, oh god how sweet! He hugged it tight and smiled at me.   Me" did your mom give it to you? ".   He looked at me and said " no....my grandma did before she died".  Auh man my heart was heavy.  I had a feeling this was gonna be a long night.