chapter 24

Months later, Shannon was out on tour i was at home waiting for word on the adoption. Finally the phone rings and  and voice comes across my ears .  Him" I'm sorry but she's going to a family who will take care of her and provide the care she needs. ".   I was stunned why?  How come I couldn't he the one who takes care of her and show her love?  It broke my heart and I tried to get more answers. He wouldn't budge. I asked one more thing.  Me" is she going back to get family? "  He took a deep breath and said " I can't disclose that ". And he hung up.  I felt my heart drop.  I laid back on the bed and thought well, whoever is lucky to have as part of her family, then I wish them well and keep her in my thoughts.   A couple days later,  the tour was on a break and Shannon decided to come home early and make dinner for us before I got home from work. I just was sliding my card when he called me. He sounded like he was out of breath and upset.  I jumped in my car and raced home to him. All types of thoughts were going through my mind.  More bad then good. 

Finally, I got home and ran to the door.  When I opened it I seen him with his head in his hands .  Me" Shannon? What's going on? ".    He looked up to me and said " I'm sorry ".  Tears streaming down his sweet face.  It had to be something bad. It took a lot for him to cry. I walked over to him and he grabbed me tight in a hug and what he said crushed every part if my beating heart. S" she's gone...... I'm so so sorry ".   I gripped him tighter and soaked his shirt with my tears.  He was my strong shoulder to lean on and cry on, now we both needed each other more than ever.  How could someone do this? 

Once we both caught our composure again, he handed me the paper and sure enough there it was. Her name, so young and taken so soon. I had tremendous guilt. Maybe if I had found her sooner or flight for her harder she might still be alive right now.  The family who was supposed to love her, killed her. How could this have happened?   I went upstairs and laid in bed. I could feel him come in behind me. I reached for his hand and held it tight in mine. 

I knew I had to go back to work the next day.  It took everything I had to not think about her just for a single second.  My schedule was packed and I was running all day.  I knew at least , when I got home,  he would be there.  Maybe I could take a break for awhile and escape into his world on the road.  I needed to get out and see the world. Life was short, work was getting to me