Chapter 1 (The begining)

~3rd person pov~

(Y/N) was about as normal as a 19 year old could get. She lived in a small apartment in a small town in Washington where the sky was almost always grey. It was a quiet town. Small businesses and stores make up most of it, along with a nice park and a few small subdivisions placed here and there. Most of the town is surrounded by thick forests, tall mountains, and small valleys.
Despite its quiet peaceful look, this town has a certain feel about it. With a dull grey sky along with an uncomfortable quietness, it gives the town a bit of an eerie feel. Not to mention the disappearances of people here and there. It seems everyone in the town has had a taste of strange things happening or strange sightings. The children there fear the local legend of the "tall man". They seem to use this legend as a scary story to tell at sleepovers or a test of bravery. The older inhabitants of the town seem to slowly forget about their own fears about the legend as they grow older, letting their minds be filled with the responsibilities of being an adult. Other than that, the town was as normal as can be.
The time was about 9 :30 at night and the sun had already went down. The dark wet streets were lit by street lamps and the occasional traffic  light. A small sprinkle of rain comes down and hits (y/n)'s umbrella. She was currently walking home from her shift at the local café. Her shift was supposed to end an hour ago but Tom , her boss, had made her stay late to clean. Aggravated, (y/n) quickly made her way through town trying to get home as soon as possible. The chilly October air nips at (y/n)  which makes her hug her light coat closer to her body.
"This night can't get any worse" (y/n) complained to herself, walking slightly faster.
The streets were mostly empty except for the occasional car and a couple of people heading quickly to their own location. (y/n) payed no mind to the eeriness of it all though. Growing up in this town, she was used to it's vibes it emitted. The only thing she feared was not being able to return home in time. She had plans on cleaning up a little bit and curling up on the couch to watch tv for a bit until she had to go to bed. At the rate she was walking she would probably be too exhausted to do anything. (y/n) let's out another sigh of frustration and disappointment as she sinks deeper into her thoughts.
(First person pov)
"Tom always seems to have extra work for me to do...that man doesn't pay me enough for half of the shit I do! That's the last time I'm cleaning the bathrooms..." I pout to myself, dreaming of quitting my job.
I tap away on my phone desperately trying to distract myself from the cold air. Scrolling through social media and reading through recent news articles, one certain article catches my eye. A mans body has recently been found in one of the abandoned building at the far edge of town...creepy... It says that shortly before the man went missing, the mans family reported strange behavior. He claimed that he was being followed and that "they were coming". The family pushed his strange behavior aside, blaming it on his recent drug abuse. Nothing else has been reported.
"Wow. Poor guy.. that's what you get for getting into drugs. He was probably killed by his dealer or something." I say to myself scrolling past the rest of the article.
I was torn from my thoughts by a blood curdling scream. My heart stopped and my breathing hitched... The scream came from an alleyway not far ahead of me. I fought with myself, to decide from running away or investigating the terrifying noise.
"Should I call the police? No wait what if it's just some kids scaring each other or maybe it was just...maybe it was..." different possibilities run thought my head but none of them could explain the scream. This scream...wasn't just a regular scream... It was a scream of terror and fear...Nothing could cause someone to scream like that..not unless it was dangerous.
A wave of bravery and adrenaline washed over me and I head closer to where I heard the scream. There was no more screaming, though, there was something else. As I got closer the sudden realization makes my heart sink and my bravery melts  away...This noise was of frantic struggling. Not just struggling.. Thrashing...gurgling...a struggle was being put up. I swallow my fear and ignore my instincts to run far away as fast as possible. What was happening? I walk closer and closer and my heart races faster and faster. It was too late to turn back now.
I was standing against a wall, the alleyway was just around the corner and the noises didn't grow any quieter. I slowly peak my head around the corner, showing as little of my body as possible. What I saw sent a chilling shiver down to my very core...two...no... three masked men stand in the alley was above a bloody, beaten corpse. The street lamp was dim but I could make out some of their features. The tallest man wore a yellow jacket and had a white feminine looking mask. He has brown messy hair and clenched a metal pipe in his hand. He was breathing heavily, revealing that he was obviously the one who did most of the damage to the beaten corpse on the ground. The other man wore a yellow hoodie and seemed to have some sort of mask over their face. The mask was completely black except for a large, red, frowning face painted on it. The last man stood up from the ground and wiped his gloved hands on his dirty jeans. His face covered by a mouth guard and a pair of large orange goggles. The thing that scared me the most about him was that he carried two hatchets. Not only that, they were covered in blood as well. The hatchet man twitched every few seconds. The three men gained their composure and the white masked man began to speak.
"I thought we were planning on not killing him until he spat it out!" The white masked man yelled at the other two.
"H-he obviously wasn't g-going to cooperate with us m-masky! We are lucky his scream didn't attract a-anyone!" The hatchet man yelled.
"Both of you keep your voices down! We got lucky when no one was around to hear his scream but I don't want to push our luck with both of your babbling!" The frowning masked man said in a hushed tone.
" I'm sure someone else would be oh so kind enough to tell us what we need to know. He wasn't the only one aware of the situation" the frowning man continued.
The one named Masky looked at the frowning man, then to the hatchet man. He sighed and nodded.
"Slender won't be very h-happy about t-this" the hatchet man chuckled, as he lightly kicked the limp corpse.
"It doesn't matter. He wasn't going to talk much anyways considering how drunk he was...I can still smell the alcohol over his own blood" Masky chuckled as he picked up the corpse like it weighed nothing. " let's just get the body out of here. We will bury it in the woods, then head back." Masky said walking out the back of the alleyway. The others nodded and followed behind him.
What was I going to do?! Should I call the police? No...the men would be gone by then...

Word count: 1572