Chapter 8 (Reasoning)

3rd person pov

Two days have gone by.

(Y/n) sits at the kitchen table, staring at a phone. She bit her nails nervously. How was she going to get through this?
It was hard enough to cope with everything that has been going on.

Masked men...murder...so many detectives crawling over each other just to talk to (y/n), desperate for a clue as to what the hell was going on in this town.

It was all chaos....

And now (y/n) had to worry about erasing all the information of her new "friends", or she would be returning to the crime scene...permanently.

"Maybe I should just talk to detective McClain..."  (y/n) thought.

Of all the people in (y/n)'s world at the moment, she trusted McClain the most. Or maybe she just enjoyed the safety of the police station.

(Y/n) stood up and rubbed her eyes and looked at her watch.

3:45 pm

(Switching to 1st person pov~)

"Detective McClain should be in her office by now...Maybe I should tell her about the incident at the park restrooms.."

I reach down and grab the bottle of pills provided to me by Masky.

This would be great evidence....

What am I thinking? God, everything is about evidence and clues these days...McClain doesn't seem to care about my mental health much anymore...

The only person who understands my current situation right now is...Masky and his coworkers.

"The irony...hahah..."

(Back to 3rd person)
(Y/n) grabs her purse and heads towards the front door.

Her eyes turn, and linger on the bottle of pills left on the kitchen table.

She shakes her head, ignoring her longing to bring along Masky's "miracle pills".

~Time skip~

It didn't take long for (y/n) to reach the police station. Once she walked in, she didn't draw much attention.

(Y/n) was now a regular visitor their, coming in maybe two or three times a week.

(Y/n) memorized the maze of hallways leading in and around the building, so she swiftly made it to McClain office with no trouble.

She fixed her hair and prepared to knock, when her eyes met with an already open door.

"Strange..." she thought, "McClain always keeps her office door closed..  she is always so paranoid" (y/n) thought.

"— it's been three weeks McClain! And you have nothing! You are putting the station's reputation on the line here!" A male voice boomed out.

Hesitantly, (y/n) backed away from the door.

"M-maybe now isn't a good time.." (y/n) whispered out loud.

"Nothing?! I'm close to cracking this case wide open Von! Iv got all the evidence together! And witness reports! Now all I have to do is get a warrant for her arrest!" McClain snapped back.

(Y/n) paused....

"Her...arrest? McClain has a suspect?"

(Y/n) turned towards the door again curiously.

"Oh please McClain! If I were in your position, (y/n) (l/n) would already be behind bars!" Von angrily ran his head through his dark shaggy hair.

(Y/n)'s heart sank...

"They think that...but why would..." Her mind raced.

"God Von! Are you out of you mind?! We barely have anything on her! It's all built around a HUNCH VON!"

"I don't give a damn! The public is panicking McClain! They want someone behind bars! And we are going to give them what they want!"

"Since when is this all about what the public wants?! There is a serial killer in this town!"

"Damn right there is! And the best we have is a fucking crazy girl! She's a lunatic McClain! She needs to be arrested whether she is guilty or not!"

"You're a prick Von! Lay off MY CASE!"

"What?! So you're going to let her roam free huh? The girl that found all of the victims, and claims some "monstrous masked men" did it all?! Iv been looking at her medical records! Her doctors say she's going insane!"

"You think I don't know that, Von?! The whole damn reason why I call her so often is to keep a close eye on her! I just don't have enough to legally take her in..."

"Well if you won't...I will! You don't have to balls to continue with this case, McClain! Hand over the fucking files!"

"Get out of my office you asshole! AND STAY OFF OF MY CASE!"

The two were screaming at each other. Their yells bounced off the walls and echoed through the halls.

(Y/n) held her hand over her mouth to silence her cries. Tears streamed down her face as she was overwhelmed with defeat and betrayal.

" All this time..." (y/n) thought, "All this time...they thought I was an insane psychopath! And now they are going to use me just to put the public's mind at ease..."

(Y/n)'s mind raced, her thoughts became incomprehensible. A headache slowly crept into her mind.

With heavy breaths, (y/n) tried to run her hands through her hair to provide some sort of relief, nearly ripping in all right from her scalp.

"I-... I'm going to go to jail...for something I didn't do! They are going to abandon me..BETRAY ME!!" (Y/n) sunk deeper into a panicked state.

"Then get rid of them..." a voice emerged from deep within (y/n)'s thoughts.

The voice reminded her of anger and sadness. As if she faintly heard it many times in her life.

"But I don't have much time..." (Y/n) reluctantly called back to the voice.

"Time is indeed running out...but not only for you...but for them too...that is why we must act quickly" its words tasted like venom.

This voice was none other than (y/n) herself.

The static has never been this loud. It was driving (y/n) insane.

What were her thoughts? What were the impatient beasts words?

One thing was for sure. (Y/n) couldn't depend on the police anymore. They would eventually lead to her downfall. And all for what? Peace of mind for all the scared helpless citizens of the town.

It was being more and more clear what (y/n) had to do...