Chapter 3 (Danger)

Heart racing, I make the final decision to run for it. The hooded killer was heading in my exact direction and there was no possible way of avoiding being spotted. Also, I'd much rather deal with him than the other two. They seem much more unstable than the quiet hooded man.
With only seconds left, I search the ground for a heavy object large enough to make a sound. My hands graze the muddy forest floor and finally I come across a descent sized rock. It's sharp edges barely phasing my hands that were almost completely numb from the cold. Silently, I aim the rock behind the hooded man and to the left. With all of my strength I launch the rock without making a sound and without coming into view. My aim was perfect and it landed right where I had planned.

     The rock clashed loudly with a tree, then rolled onto the forest floor. The noise cause a loud echo through the painfully silent forest and the hooded man jumped and turned around quickly.
"Masky? Toby?" His head darted around scanning the area behind him.
"Oh wow very funny guys now stop screwing with me. Iv gotta finish cleaning up our mess that I so kindly volunteered to take care of." The hooded man stood still, facing the opposite direction of me.

          This was my chance. The hooded man was about 25 to 30 feet away and I could catch him off guard. I make a run for it! Without hesitation I pick up speed and swiftly head in the direction of town. My heart races as I get an adrenaline rush, which numbs the burning in my lungs from pushing my body too hard.

     "What the hell?" The hooded man swings his head back surprised "MASKY!!! TOBY!! GET YOUR ASSES OVER HERE!!" The hooded man yells loudly.

     I flinch at how loudly he yelled. He seemed to quiet back at the "graveyard". There is no way the other two men couldn't have heard that...In these woods, every little noise echoes. It was a miracle that they didn't hear me on the way here. But now...I'm screwed.. If I don't pick up the pace, the hooded guy with most definitely catch up with  me and make me join the others in the ground.

    The image of the large hooded man beating me to death like the man in the alley way made my heart sink. Sweat started budding up on my forehead and my breathing became heavier. Just then, I spotted a dim light far ahead of me. The town! Thank god! This nightmare is almost over. I sigh in relief as I also spot police lights flashing in the distance as well. Someone must have discovered the huge bloody mess in the alley way.

     My happiness was short lived as I heard two other pairs of running footsteps coming up from behind the hooded man. Without a doubt ... those were the other two killers. How did they catch up to us so quickly?? The worst part about this is that they are not yelling or screaming at me..They are not trying to tempt me towards them..They are completely silent.. All I can hear is their heavy breathing and their swift footsteps...
My breathing grows out of control. I feel my heart pumping vigorously as my feet bounce loudly on the forest floor. I jump and swerve desperately trying to avoid tripping on a fallen tree or the occasional rock, cutting up my exposed ankles in the process. I wince in pain but the adrenaline rush soon washes it out of my mind.
I'm almost there! The lights of the town grow brighter and brighter and the sound of the sirens of the police grow louder and louder. I can make it! Just a little farther! I push myself just a little farther. The aching in my lungs begins to pulsate through my entire body as I make the final few leaps into the alley way.
Iv made it! I look up and see two police officers. They both look as me and shock. I sigh in relief as I desperately try to catch my breath.
"Ma'am? Are you alright?" One of the officers says as he shines his large, bright flashlight on my pale face.
I squint as my eyes adjust to the light.
"P-please! Help me!" I began as the panic of everything that has just happened begins to set into my mind. "There were these men! A-and! There was screaming and then blood! Then! I just wanted to get a picture of them! B-but! There was this! T-this GRAVEYARD-" I was babbling out but was cut off.
"Ma'am please calm down!" The first officer says putting his hand on my shoulder.
"No! You don't understand! I'm being chased by these phyco men! They are right behind m-" I turn to look behind me. The men were gone.
"They were right behind me!" I almost broke out in tears.
"Ma'am..you're covered in blood...Come with us, you need to answer some questions after we get that nasty cut looked at..." the second officer says leading me to the car parked by the street.
     I look behind me one more time. All I see was the dark ominous woods starring back at me. I swallow the lump in my throat and reluctantly follow the officer. As I walk away it feels as if a pair of eyes is staring a hole in the back of my head. The hairs on the back of my neck stand on edge. Even though I can't see them...I know the masked men are watching me. I feel there eyes. I turn back to the officers and reluctantly follow them to their police car.
As the officer helps me into the backseat my muscles relax slightly. At least I am in the safety of this car, and under the protection of the two officers. But... what would have happened if they had not discovered the blood stained alley way? What would have happened to me if the men caught up? My mouth goes dry at the thought. For now, I am grateful that fate was on my side today.
I lean my head against the car window and look at the passing scenery. How has my night become so.. what's the word? Dangerous? Eventful? Different words to describe my night pop in and out of my mind. Though, one thought keeps on popping back up no matter how hard I try to push it to the back of my mind. As much as I don't want to believe that it's true...I may have outrun those masked men but...I have a gut feeling that this isn't over..

Words count 1141
(Not edited)