Chapter 5 (home sweet home...)

The policeman pulled up to my apartment and let me out of the car. I nodded at him and lead him to my door.
     "This is it.." I say pulling out my keys, unlocking the door. "Thank you for the ride.." I smile sadly.
     "You're welcome Ms.  Officer Conner will arrive here at around 4:30-5:00 am sharp. He won't come in or Intrude. He will most likely patrol the surrounding area, so no need to worry." The officer says while adjusting his belt.
     I nod and thank him once more, then head into my apartment.  I sigh in relief as I close and lock the door. A wave of comfort hits me, and I can finally relax for the first time in hours. I place my keys on the counter and place my jacket down on a chair on my kitchen table. I drag my feet all the way over to the living room and turn on my tv, then throw the remote back down on the couch. I didn't really care what Chanel it was on, just as long as the apartment wasn't dead silent. Iv had enough eerie silence for tonight...
     I wonder to my bathroom  and shut and lock the door. I think a warm bath will help sooth my aching muscles...After turning on the water and checking the temperature, I strip my muddy cloths off.
     "It'll take forever to wash these stains out" I mumble while rubbing at the muddy stains on my work uniform.
    Hopefully I can get them out before I have to get back to work...Looking over at my bath, I see that it's about to over flow. I rush and turn of the water. How long was I staring at my cloths?...After throwing my cloths off to the side I practically dive into the bath. The warm water relaxes my muscles. I feel the dirt and blood start to lift off my cuts and bruises. I should probably patch myself up after this..
      After my bath, I put on a pair of pajamas and get ready for bed. I always make sure that my doors and windows are locked..but tonight I double checked...no..triple checked..You can never be too safe! Especially when you may be being hunted by three giant professional killers! Haha...ha...
     I finally let myself relax then head to bed. After cuddling up under my comforter, I turn off my lamp and sink into my mattress. It didn't take long for me to drift off into a dreamless sleep....

Time skip to 3a.m

     My eyes slowly peel open. Half awake I sit up confused as to why I had woken up. I am quickly torn from that state when I hear a small scrape..no? A clicking? It's sounds like...a door handle...
     My heart sinks as a jump out of bed. Frantically I run out of my bedroom door and into the hallways. It's hard to make out the sound over my thumping heart, but eventually I follow the noise to my front door. I quietly race over to my door and look at the locks..One of them had already been picked, and the second one was about picked as well! I quickly jump over to the handle and lock both locks again. After that there was complete silence...I hold the lock so hard that my knuckles turn white. Surely whoever was at the other side of the door could feel my hands tremble. Since my neighborhood had previous accounts of home intruders, I had my windows bared to put my paranoia at rest. Thank god for my paranoia...Now, at least, I only have to worry about my front door.
     The handle wiggles a bit and I jump. Then I feel the clicking of the lock picks. This continues, but I don't budge. I'm not letting this happen..I'm supposed to be safe in my own home! I hear a low sigh and a grumble come from the other side of the door.
     "S-she's holding the l-lock shut..." says a stuttering voice. That must be the hatchet man..Toby, I think.
     I tremble as my worries are confirmed. The masked men found me..but how?! Have they been watching me all this time?...
    "She shouldn't even be awake, toby...Are you sure you are even doing this right?" A deeper voice calls out. That I recognize that voice as the man with the white mask.
     "I-of course I'm doing it  r-right, Masky ! Iv done this a mil-million times before!" Toby snaps back at Masky.
     "Both of you quiet...if she is holding the locks firmly, then she knows we are here...That just causes even more problems for us. We need to get in whether she's holding the door or not." I automatically recognize that voice...the hooded man who almost ripped my head off...
     I shrink down, but hold the lock even harder. My worst fears would be coming true if I loosen up. 

     BANG
     I scream and fall back, but quickly scramble back to my previous position. I hear a chuckle.

     "*chuckle* S-see? Told you m-Masky!" Toby says.
    Another bang hits the door, and makes my body rumble. It hurt...Toby had some serious spring in his step to make my door shake like that..
BANG BANG BA-
    "Toby stop!" Masky yells in a hushed tone. "We are trying to get her out, not wake the whole damn neighborhood.." Hoodie continues.
    They continue to bicker. I sit there, still about to piss my pants. What should I do? The officer won't show up for another hour and that Toby guy seems really determined to destroy my door. In the heat of the moment I work up the courage to say something.
     " I-iv called the police! J-just leave me alone!!" I choke up with tears in my eyes.
     Great... from the way I babbled that sentence out, they can definitely tell how terrified I am....
     "You hear that Hoodie? She called the police" Masky cooed , mocking me.
     "I'm not joking! J-just stay the hell away from me!!"  I yell.
     I'm getting pretty desperate here. The police most definitely do not know of what is happening to me and I'm sure if they wanted, they could smash my door in a split second. The only thing I can do is grow a pair and seem as tough  as possible. At least they don't want to make too much noise, otherwise they would have gotten in al-.... wait...
An idea popped in my head. That Masky guy didn't want Toby to make all that noise..For how brutal they are they are really trying to stay under the radar...They must really hate dealing with people they don't need to...A victorious smile spreads across my face as I silently thank the universe for the apartments horribly thin walls.

I nod to myself, knowing what to do next. I take a deep breath in and.....
"AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH" I let out the loudest blood curdling scream I could.
It burned my throat and shook my body. I hear the men shuffle anxiously from behind the door. I think I caught them off guard! I almost immediately hear shuffling coming from my neighbors houses. Leaning over, I peak through my barred window and outside onto the porch. I see the men whipping their heads from side to side, making sure no one was interrupting them. No one was out yet, though, it wouldn't be long. Dogs were barking and shuffling became louder and more apparent.
"Damn it! We have to get out of here...." Hoodie curses under his breath.
" B-but what about t-the girl?" Toby argues.
" Oh we'll be back..." Masky says, turning in my direction.
His head turned to me..Shoot...he was pissed...I jump back from the window and curl back up, waiting for them to take their leave. I wait...

...and I wait...

....The sound of sirens slowly make their way closer to the apartment, and I can see the flash of the blue and red lights. I sigh, and a weight is lifted off my chest.
Tonight was far too close...If I hadn't woken up, who knows what they would have done to me...
     I need to be more careful...What am I going to do?...

Word count: 1407