Chapter 4 (Is it over?)

(Y/n)'s pov
The car ride to the station seemed to last forever. I counted the street lights as they flash by the foggy window. Tonight's events replay in my head over and over again, like a broken record. Why did I go into the woods? I could have gotten myself killed...I could have ended up in one of those graves, beaten and bloodied until I was unrecognizable. The thought made me cringe.
"Miss" I was pulled from the thoughts by one of the officers. I look away from the window to see that we were at the station, in the east side of town.
"Miss we are here. We are going to need some of your personal information, so you will be here for a while. Do you mind staying the night at the station or would you need a ride home?" The officer explained.
I wasn't exactly sure. Right now leaving the safety of the policemen sounded terrifying...but staying the night in a sell doesn't exactly sound comfortable. I would be safe in my own apartment right? It's a pretty decent distance from the "scene". Though...who know if those men are watching me right now...waiting for me to leave the safety of the police station...I drift back into deep thoughtful.
" I-I" I stutter. " I'm not sure yet.." I hesitantly reply to the officer.
"That's alright ma'am. There it's a detective waiting in the interrogation room waiting for you. She has been on the recent homicide investigation in town, and she will take good care of you" the other officer said leading me to the door, patting my back.
The door is opened for me and the warmth hits my face. It was relieving. I take in my surrounding. The officers were certainly busy. Some slouched over at their desks, with bags under their eyes, and coffee cups littering their desk. Others gathered together discussing who goes where and what will happen to what.
Anxiety fills the air, which only fuels mine. I'm lead through a narrow hallway, and into a small dim room. There sat a women at a small metal table. The women radiated superiority. Her dark grey suit, spotless, and wrinkle free. With her short brown hair straitened to perfection. All facial imperfections are covered with foundation , a shade too dark. Her dull eyes meet mine and she forces a smile. She obviously isn't feeling any better than I am.
She stands
"Hello miss. I'm Detective McClain, and I am the lead investigator in this case if the most recent homicides in town." She reaches out her hand and I meets with mine. Her handshake is firm and rushed.
"I was told that you witnessed the most recent...incident. My apologies that a young women such as you would be involved in such a vulgar thing. I imagine you are very distressed at the moment, but I'm going to need you to answer some questions for us." She says as she leads me to the table.

  I nod quietly slowly.

She sits back down in her seat and brushed her sleeves off and grabs a notebook and pen, readying herself to write.
"Now, please give me you full name, age, and address. You will then proceed to describe what you witnessed and how you were involved directly. Please don't leave out any details, any information is useful to us." She speaks as if she was reading off a script. She must have been doing this often.
I look up from my hands that rest upon my legs, beneath the table. Her forced smile, impatient and almost desperate. The hot pink lipstick faded..most likely from her anxiously licking it. She was desperate. For anything...Obviously the investigation hadn't been moving along smoothly..if it was even moving along at all. I realize now that whatever I tell them will most likely play a crucial role in whatever their next move is in the investigation.
I take a deep breath, and tell her all I can remember. I describe the agonizing screams of the poor man. I describe his body...his beaten face...his purple skin...his widened, bloodshot eyes...his twitching muscles. How blood pooled around him, filling in the cracks of the concrete. I told her of the three masked men. How they towered over at least six foot tall. I described their individual weapons and how their very presence radiated pure dominance. I showed her my bloody bruised legs, and how the forest floor was brutal to me. It was when I got to the...grave...is when I began to choke on my own words...My tears mixed with the bloody scratches on my face. I swallowed the lump in my throat and continued. Her eyes widened when she heard me describe how close I had been to them.

She nodded and hesitantly wrote in her notebook.
"You are describing them as...inhuman?" She raised her brow.
"What else could I say? One of them lifted that large overweight man like he weighed nothing! Their speed and team work was so...I don't even know..." My eyes drifted away as I pictured the men.
"There was something about them...It feels wrong to call them anything close to human." I sighed.
"I see...well.. That is all I will be needing from you tonight Ms, (l/n). I will most likely call you in for further questioning. I recommend that you contact your place of work and inform them that you will not be in work for at least seventy-two hours." She said clicking her pen and closing her notebook. She pressed the "stop" button on the small recorder that had been on the table.
"I also would like to recommend you stay indoors for a few days." Her posture falters at what she last says.
"Why should I stay indoors? " I ask tilting my head.
" You see Ms (l/n)...there have been...other witnesses in this case..." She refuses to meet my eyes.
I step back and grasp the table to support. My heart starts to race again. I feel as if I will faint.

"I am not saying that something will happen to you...though..other witnesses did not take the proper precautions.." she tries to save herself.
"Oh god.." I mumble.
" We cannot legally hold you here against your will, but we can if you request protection. We can also offer an escort home, and an officer to watch the perimeter of your house for the next seventy two hours. The department is fully prepared to keep you safe from any harm." She reaches out her hand and grabs my shoulder, assuring me with a stern gaze.
I sigh in defeat. I suppose one police officer armed with a gun wouldn't be too bad. It's better than an uncomfortable bed with itchy blankets and the constant buzz of countless officers. I tell myself it will all be over soon.

     "I would like to go home...right now I think I just need to think." I say heading towards the door.
"Right. I'll get an officer to escort you home. You won't have an officer at your home right away though. One will most likely be assigned to you by early morning." Detective McClain says while she puts her notebook and recorder in her messenger bag. I nod.
I am escorted out of the police station and back into a police car. I give the policeman my address and lean back into my seat. After sitting there in awkward silence I find myself looking back out the fogged window just like I was before. Who knew after such an event your mind could be so blank, but race from place to place at the same time.
I wish that I would have just ran away...I wish I never saw the body..and the graves...I wish that I would have just gotten the picture so I could give it to the police and they could leave me alone...I wish this was all just a stupid dream..no..nightmare. I'm wishing too much aren't I? I should just be grateful that I'm alive, and that I didn't get my stupid ass killed in the worst way possible.
Soon this will all be over..soon those sick masked men will be caught and put in jail, and all of their victims family can have a little closure...Soon I can forget about all of this and continue on with my normal boring life...soon...right?

Word count: 1574