Chapter 20

The next day passed quicker than I had anticipated. I stood beside Omer during their prayers, and during the burial. I thought the burial would be an intimate event, but when I saw the cameras stationed everywhere I knew it was far from it. The funeral was being broadcast live.

I soon began to realize the extend of The Aslan name here. Hundreds of people scattered around us as we lowered Cem into the ground. Thousands stood outside the gates. Chloe tried her best to sneak into the background, but Omer wouldn't allow it.  There was a leak about Chole's relationship to us. It forced us to stand our ground united. I could tell she was uncomfortable with the way everyone kept eyeing her, but she pushed through it for Omer.

I wore the head scarf out of respect for their culture. I wanted to make sure I didn't cause unnecessary attention to myself, and with the sunglasses, still I wasn't invisible. They all knew who I was.

We were all escorted to the back of the mansion where an after service was going to be hosted by Omer himself. I took the opportunity to make myself sparse. I walked around the gardens appreciating the quietness. I was an outsider here. I felt it.

There were many people whom acknowledged me by my marriage, but I could see the welcome they gave Veronica. Like old friends. Everyone seemed to love her. It gave me an insight just how close Omer and her had been to uniting their lives.

Looking at the beauty of the garden I knew that I'm just revisiting the insecurity I have. I actually care about him enough to be scared. Scared that one day he'll realize that I won't be enough. To be honest. I've grown used to having him around. The presence of someone next to me took me away from my silent thoughts. I knew it was him.

"What are you thinking?" He asked.

I continued facing forward trying my best to keep my poker face on. "That you should go back. You're the host after all."

"We need to talk about Chloe."

I knew this was coming. It was obvious the way everyone looked her with questioning eyes throughout the funeral. They all want answers. Usually, if we were back home I wouldn't care or I'll let Tina handle it, but I'm noticing how different things are here.  "I saw the way everyone was looking at her. They're all against it, aren't they?" I asked facing him.

"No, but there are questions."

"Like?"

"Why we chose to adopt, when we could have our own children."

"Because I can't have children."

"We will need to address that to the public."

"I understand, but we haven't even officially adopted her Omer. What will they say about that?"

He took a deep breathe looking forward in thought. "I have the documents sitting on my desk. My lawyer is waiting for us. If you're sure about this, we can go sign them right now. Get this done with and introduce her as our daughter formally."

"Omer, do you think we're doing the right thing? It's pretty clear how thick the tension is around here. I'm not well liked. Chloe might be even less. I'm starting to understand how conservative everyone here is. I just don't want it to get worst for her." I turned back to the garden.

"Everything is going to get worst. Chloe is adopted. Americans might admire that, but my people will have reservations on it. We all need to prepare for that." He said turning me around to face him. "At this point we both have grown attached to her. I already  had her investigated. Her parents are dead. She has no living family members. Apart from her constant runaways from foster care, she's clean. Has a good work history. Though she lacks education. If you want to do this. Now is the time."

He took precautions, I can't be upset over that. We both needed to protect ourselves from any unexpected surprises. "I want us to be doing this, not just me. Can you handle that? Having everyone constantly pointing it out or giving you their opinions? Because I can, but can you?" I asked him.

"After today no one will question her anymore. They will hide their remarks in my presence, but it's up to Chloe to show them that she can be an Aslan."

"I just don't understand why she has to. This is our life. I get that whole shock of it all, but it's not taking anything from anyone if she is our daughter. She shouldn't have to prove her worth to anyone."

"The Alsans' were the last Turkish dynasty. Meaning I would be royal by bloodline, King by name. That is if there was still a monarchy. There isn't anymore, but there are still traditions being passed down through the generations that still respect and uphold the royal status. That why alot the servants still call me Sultan, even though I am not King. I don't like it, but I respect it."

"I didn't know that."

"That's why my family settled in London and then America. Here, we were expect to act like royals. It was ridiculous. In America we had more liberties."

I nodded in understanding. "I get it now, why everyone is so worked up. It's like you're their Prince William."

"They don't like change."

"I can see that. Chloe will inherit not just the Aslan fortune, but the Verdell one as well. You think she can handle that? And what if she decides she doesn't want to run our empires? I don't want to take away her choice. Will you be able to handle that too?"

"I don't expect Chloe to be our only child, but for now she will be considered an heir."

That answered that. "Then let's do it." He took my hand and led me away from the garden.
-----------------------------------------------

The flashing lights was blinding, but we sat there as a family. Unfortunately, that included Omer's cousin Nazli. Omer called the press conference to announce not just the Alsan heir, but also announce her as the Verdell heir. We thought the sooner the better it would be to just get this over with. Chloe was extremely emotional so she wore her sunglasses. She was shocked, and suprised that we decided to adopt her. She had thought that our foster family arrangement would only be temporary. She hesitated in signing the document legalizing the adoption. She figured that we were probably doing it because we felt sorry for her, but after an hour of convincing her otherwise, she caved in.

I patted her hand on her lap as a form of comfort. She was not handling the attention as well as we hoped. She wasn't liking the looks of everyone that came in contact with her, but she knows she will have to deal with it for now.

We have a mixture of American reporters and Turkish reporters throwing questions back and forth. It was clear from the very beginning that the Turkish reporters were more aggressive and invasive with their questions.

It felt like hours before we finally finished. I felt exhausted from all that work. But I'm glad that it's over. It's out there and there will be no misunderstandings at all.

I continued to get surprised by the multiplication of secruity by the mintue as we were escorted through the back of the building and into the SUV. Nazli, decided to ride in a different vehicle than ours. I couldn't say I cared.

We drove back to the mansion, but I was suprised when Omer only let Chloe and John out. "John will be with her at all times." He informed me.

"Where are we going?" I asked.

"Away from here." Was all he said.

Looking out the window I noticed the familiar face staring at us as we drove away.  The tears falling down her eyes as she caught my eyes. I just looked away. Not caring a single bit.

****Authors Note****

Sorry for the slow upload for this chapter. I had a major writer's block. It was crazy. I had to reread the whole story and figure out where to go from there and do the appropriate transitions.  Thank you so much for the patience.

Next chapter will only focus on Cora and Omer. So here's to hoping you'll love it!!!!