Chapter 2: Mother's gambol

Cinder POV

It's been several weeks since I left (y/n) and finally he's coming to Vale. "MOMMY!" (y/n) shouted as he jumped off the bullhead and landed in my arms, "Hey there sweetie." I said as I hugged him, "Did you miss me?" He asked, "More than anything." I said, "Let's go sweetie." I said.

"(y/n) darling you didn't bring my swords with you did you?" I asked, "No Salem told me not to." (y/n) said, "Good boy, there's no reason for you to have weapons on you just yet." I said, "What do you mean Mommy?" He asked, "Well when you're a bit older and if you so choose you I'll enroll you in a combat school." I said, "Cant you just teach me?" He asked, "If that's what you want when the time comes then yes I'd be more tan happy to." I said.

(y/n) POV

"Hey there kid it's been a while." Mercury said as he ruffled my hair, "Ok Mercury that's enough (y/n) has to be exhausted after his flight." Mommy said, "Yeah I guess so." Mercury said, "Alright bud why don't you go take a nap and when you wake up we can go out for dinner." Mommy said, "Ok." I said as I followed her to her room.

Cinder POV

"Dinner?" Mercury said, "Looks like I have some intensive to get this heist done quickly and without a hitch." I said, "So is that why he's here?" He asked, "No, there's a certain someone who I don't necessarily like or trust especially near my son." I said, "Is it her?" He asked, "No he's far worse." I said, "I see, but what will you do when we have to move forward with the plan?" He asked, "I'll burn that bridge when it comes to that." I said.

My roll in the heist was to pilot the bullhead and act as the getaway driver, it was my choice not to participate in this and future heists for (y/n)'s sake. Suddenly I heard an explosion and then I got the signal from Roman. I started up the bullhead and hovered up to the retrieval point. "END OF THE LINE RED." Roman shouted as he tossed a dust crystal and shot it. Suddenly we were hit by something, "We've got a huntress!" Roman said as he took the controls, and some how she created a storm that rained spears of ice on us, I ran out to the back and shot a bolt of fire at the huntress and another bystander, the huntress blocked my attack, but I used the fragments and detonated them. But the huntress used the debris from the explosion to make some sort of spear that Roman blocked with the ship, and then she used the fragments of her attack to come back and hit the ship again, but before that could happen I used the maiden power to destroy the spears. Suddenly the girl in red started shooting at me, however compared to the attacks the other huntress inflicted blocking her shots was a trivial feat. Luckily Roman got us out of there before things got worse.

"Mommy!" (y/n) shouted as he ran over to me, "Hey sweetie, I know I said we could go out for dinner, but mommy's exhausted maybe we can go some other time." I said, "What are you  talking about Mommy? Mercury and Emerald just got back with the food." He said, "Yeah Cinder how could you forget sending us out to get dinner since you were too busy to go yourself." Mercury said as he handed me a slip of paper that read 'You owe us one.', after I read this I realized that they knew that the heist was going to go wrong somehow. I smiled, "That's right. I swear I'd loose my head if it wasn't attached to my shoulders." I said with a slight laugh, "Silly Mommy! You work too hard." (y/n) said, "Maybe your right sweetie." I said as I petted his head, "Let's go eat, and then we are going to bed." I said.

(y/n) POV

We had Chinese food for dinner, and just as she said Mommy and I went to bed after we ate. Since there wasn't much room or money for me to have my own room or bed I had to share with Mommy. I didn't mind much it was nice. I felt safe. I felt like nothing could hurt me as long as long as she was with me.

"Good morning sweetie." Mommy said as she petted my head, "Wanna go to the park later?" She asked, "Yeah!" I said excitedly, "Ok I'll see if Mercury or someone will be willing to take you just encase I cant that way even if I'm not there you'll still have fun." She said, "But you will go right?" I asked as I sat up, "I cant promise anything honey, but I'm going to try my best." She said.

"Mommy are you ready to go to the park?" I asked excitedly, "Almost I just need to go change and then we can go." Mommy said as she finished up her work and walked back to our room.

"Alright let's go." Mommy said as she walked out of the room in a new outfit.

"WOW! You look very pretty Mommy!" I said, "Aw thank you sweetie shall we get going?" Mommy said, I nodded and we began to walk towards the door, but as I opened the door it started pouring rain, "Maybe some other time sweetie

"WOW! You look very pretty Mommy!" I said, "Aw thank you sweetie shall we get going?" Mommy said, I nodded and we began to walk towards the door, but as I opened the door it started pouring rain, "Maybe some other time sweetie." She said.

Cinder POV

I was secretly relieved that it started raining because I was taking a huge risk in taking him to the park not even a day after robbing that dust shop. It was a major gamble with a huge risk and very little real payoff for any one other than me. It was a gamble that I just couldn't afford to take, and one I don't intend on ever taking. "What should we do now sweetie?" I asked, "Mommy." (y/n) said, "Yes sweetheart?" I said as I shut the door, "Can we go home soon?" He asked, "Sweetie I thought you liked it here." I said as I knelt down to his height, "I don't I just like being with you." He said, "Aww sweetheart if you really want to go back home that badly we can go tomorrow night." I said, "Thank you Mommy." He said as he hugged me, "You're welcome sweetheart, but eventually you will have to come back to Vale with me." I said as I hugged him. "I am starving! How about I go make us some lunch and then we can go play in our room." I said, "But don't you have to get back to work?" He asked, "Normally yes, but for you I'd do anything." I said, "Really?!" He asked excitedly, "Yeah I'll just have Emerald fill in for me." I said as I picked him up, "What should we eat? I think we have a bag of chicken nuggets that I had Mercury get for you." I said, "Yeah let's have that!" He said as I walked to the kitchen, "If I remember correctly they're grimm shaped." I said making him smile, "I thought you might like that." I said.

(y/n) POV

"Ok lunch is ready." Mommy said as she sat down a plate of chicken nuggets for me, "Thank you Mommy." I said, "Hey where are my nuggets?!" Mercury complained, "You're a big boy make em' yourself." Mommy said, "But Cinder!" Mercury complained, "No buts now go." Mommy said as Mercury left, "You see (y/n) this is why I'm such a great mom. I have to deal with a bunch of babies on a daily basis." She said as she ate a nugget, "No you're not a great mommy...you're the best mommy." I said as I hugged her, "Thank you sweetie." She said as kissed the top of my head.