chapter fifty-four

Jungkook bares no resemblance to his father. The only similar thing is the intimidating presence he has the first time you meet him.

But his father's presence is far more intimidating. He frowns, "Who are you two?"

"Think carefully, Mr. Jeon," Jimin says, eyes full of darkness and distrust. I've never seen Jimin like this, it's scary.

He stares at us, switching his gaze between the two of us. He locks his eyes onto Jimin, eyes slowly widening. "You're...you're that kid. Park Jimin."

Despite the height difference between Mr. Jeon and Jimin, Jimin appears as someone you should not mess with. His tattoos look darker and bolder than ever, and his eyes can burn a hole through you.

Mr. Jeon switches his gaze to me, furrowing his eyebrows. "Who are you?"

"Park Haru. She's someone very, very important," Jimin says, "Allow is into your home, please. We need to talk."

The frown on Mr. Jeon's face gets replaced with an amused smirk. "What kind of circus is this? My son's girlfriend and his best friend randomly show up at my door and want me to let them in."

I glare at him, fear being replaced by anger, "We want to talk to you about Jungkook."

He scoffs, "And? That ungrateful idiot ran off with my money and is probably asking for more."

"He's in the hospital," Jimin says bluntly. This causes a reaction in his father.

"He's in the hospital?" Mr. Jeon says, the smile wiping off his face.

I clench my jaw, "Yes. Now let us in, would you?"

Without saying anything, he slowly opens up the door more. We step inside, the air colder than the autumn air outside.

He leads us to the dining room where large plush chairs surrounding a marble table are waiting.

Jimin and I sit down next to each other, and Mr. Jeon sits across from us.

"What's wrong with Jungkook?" he asks us, crossing his hands in front of him.

Jimin turns his head to me, signaling me to start talking.

"He's sick. Really, really sick."

He raises an eyebrow, "You have to be more specific than just 'sick'."

I roll my eyes, "I was gonna wait a little bit before telling you because it's a lot to handle, but since you're so eager I'll go ahead and be straight up with you. He's suffering with kidney failure."

He stares at me, eyes widening the slightest bit. "What?"

"You heard her. Kidney failure," Jimin says, voice never faltering.

His mouth hangs agape, "K-Kidney failure? How did this happen?"

"That's not important right now. What's important is that he needs a donor," Jimin responds.

"W-What am I supposed to do?" Mr. Jeon asks, and Jimin and I sigh in disbelief. Someone like him should know stuff like this, shouldn't they?

"People can only accept things like this from certain blood types. It's different depending on what type of blood type you have. And since Jungkook is O positive, he needs anyone with type O to donate," I explain.

"So," he pauses, his voice dropping, "You're telling me that I should donate to him?"

Jimin and I give a brief nod, and he sighs. "I...I need some time to think about this first."

"That's the thing we don't have," Jimin says, "We don't have time."

Mr. Jeon looks back and forth between us, completely putting his guard down.

I sigh, "Listen. Your son is dying, and if nobody donates to him, he-" my voice cuts, but I blink away my tears, "He won't make it. Please understand how much we need you in this situation. How much Jungkook needs you."

Mr. Jeon furrows his brows, "But-"

"I know that you're still mad at him about what he did," Jimin interrupts, "But he's still your son."

Mr. Jeon's facial expression softens the slightest bit, and I notice his eyes begin watering.

"Jungkook was grieving over the loss of his mother, over your wife," Jimin continues, "He felt as if he never had a father-figure in his life."

"Now is the chance to redeem yourself," I speak up.

"Come to Busan with us," I gulp, "You have a lot of anger in your heart because of Jungkook, and he does too. But deep down inside you know you still want to be there for him as his father. You still love him."

"And Jungkook loves you too," Jimin adds on, voice low.

Mr. Jeon huffs, wiping his tears away. "Please just...please give me a moment." He stands up and exits the dining room, leaving Jimin and I by ourselves.

Jimin sighs, "I never thought that I would ever be in this situation."

"I never thought that I would ever be in this situation. I thought that, after the photo shoot, I would never see you guys again," I say, and Jimin grins.

"I'm sorry you have to deal with us now. There's always some kind of trouble everywhere we are."

I tsk, "Hey, if I never met you guys, my life would be so boring. I never would've been in a relationship with Kook, I never would've gotten a tattoo, I never would've dyed my hair. I would've been boring."

"I don't think you're boring," he says, nudging my elbow.

"I'm not boring because I met you guys," I respond.

"You're so precious," he smiles, pinching my cheek.

Suddenly, Mr. Jeon reappears in the dining room, eyes now red and puffy. He's holding a small notecard in his hand.

"So," he says, mouth forming into a smile, "When does the next train for Busan leave?"

{ A / N }

that last line reminded me of the movie
"train to busan" and can i just say how
freaking sad it made me

it was an amazing movie, like i really loved
it but it was so sad