Chapter 38

The song for this chapter is "All In" by Lifehouse a video is attached.

This chapter is dedicated to katylw!

Enjoy!

****

* Nathaniel Ryder *

Jamie's slender body laid next to mine on the bed as she had been for many nights, but something felt different. Even the simple way she lay looked tense and tortured. Her eyelids were pulled tightly shut causing slight wrinkles to decorate them. Her limbs weren't loose and relaxed like they always were. Instead her muscles appeared taut and rock hard as though she had been flexing.

I continued to stroke my fingers along her exposed hip bone hoping that any second she would loosen up and feel at peace with my touch. That moment never came. Her chin began to quiver once more as if she was reliving those horrendous feelings again in her unconscious. "Carter" she mumbled out desperately, her voice calling out for him. She needed comfort in this time. Yet, as her newly proclaimed mate I couldn't help her. She needed Carter.

I know it's hypocritical to even be upset with him over this but I couldn't help it. I hated him for hurting her even though deep down I knew this was all because of my actions. Honestly, I thought once Jamie and I consummated our relationship that would be the end of their connection. I was stunned to see my prediction was wrong. Perhaps that's why Carter continued to feel so connected to Jamie, his wolf never moved on like hers had. One questioned remained in my mind and I knew Jamie was thinking the same thing. Who did Carer sleep with?

I didn't even realize these thoughts were angering me until Jamie let out a small delicate wince. That's when I saw my hand tightly clutching her hip, squeezing desperately as if it was Carter's neck. It was a surprise that she even continued to sleep through that. But, I know her wolf was in shambles as she experienced her chosen mates...excitement and she needed the rest.

Peeking back up to her face I spotted the familiar tattered expression etched across her features. It held the same intensity as her face had the night that I claimed her as mine. Sighing at the realization I leaned down and pecked her shaky lips only to have her slight trembling cease. I guess there was hope for us after all. I unhooked my arm from her stomach as I slowly pushed my body up from the bed, being careful not to disturb her much needed slumber. I took a hold of the edge of the comforter that hung over my side of the bed. Then, I draped it over her bare petite frame shielding her from the harsh world of reality.

Turning back I grasped my boxers and jeans and tugged them on my body concealing my manhood before I descended down the steps. I knew Trent was still here, waiting to make sure his sister was okay. But, that was news I couldn't give him. As I reached the bottom stair, it creaked causing all the pack members around to glance back in my direction. Nearly the entire community was present near the living room as they awaited my words.

Upon spotting me Annabelle tore from her mothers arms and ran as fast as she could across the entry way. As a child she didn't fear me like most did. My size and loud voice didn't affect her. When she made it to where I stood she peered up at me with soft sad eyes. "Where is Jamie?" She asked causing me to gulp and turn to Trent who was pushing his way threw the gathering crowd.

"She's sleeping" I told her as I moved down the last step.

"I heard her crying" Annabelle whispered dropping her gaze to the ground. Living two floors down from where Jamie's heart break occurred I didn't expect her to hear. Though her whines weren't quiet I didn't think they were that loud. My heart began to ache as I thought back to what took place only an hour or so ago. I tried desperately to soothe her aching wolf. Every kiss, every grope, every movement I made wasn't enough. She would be distracted for only a moment before his actions flooded her brain. "Is she hurt?" She pushed innocently. I couldn't explain the situation to her, she wouldn't be able to understand. I'm twenty two years old and I can barely wrap my head around what I had done.