2.

"They are among us. The demonic creatures are living in our neighborhood, going to the same schools we send our kids, tempting them to join the side of Satan." The little crowd cheered, screaming agreements and hate towards the creatures. But there was a girl who remained quiet. "They are waiting for the moment where nobody believes in them anymore when no one is talking about their wicked plan. When this day arrives, they will kill us all, then change the ones who survive. They will make our world their world. But we won't let 'em." The last sentence was pronounced with greater intensity, people screaming louder at the commotion. "We are going to fight 'em, and take 'em all down." At this point, the girl stopped listening.

Amelia was not like the people in this cult, the ones that meet on 5th street, every Thursday and Saturday. She didn't like the screaming voices, the hate they exhaled, the obscene words they said or the fact that they ignored their own sins and insisted on condemning others for theirs. She didn't want to be a part of that at all. All she wanted was to run away from that madness and never come back. But she couldn't, seeing that the crazy woman, screaming at the top of her lungs saying things about an apocalyptic plan, was her mother.

Not her birth mother, an adoptive one, but the only one she knew. Her biological parents died when she was a baby, and she had been living with Naomi Harvele, the leader of the anti-werewolves cult since then. Not only her but two other kids; orphans like Amelia. As the children of the high priestess of the church, they all needed to attend every cult to set an example, but being in the Church wasn't the worst part for Amelia.

As an active part of the cultism, she and her siblings had to work and gain more followers for their mother. Handing flyers was one of their tasks. While her siblings did the job excitedly, wanting to bring as many people as possible to the Church as a form of competition, Amelia absolutely hated to be seen as a face for that belief. She hated being connected to that and felt like a bad person for spreading a message of hate like that.

Even if her mother did her best to put the idea in Amelia's head that werewolves were dangerous creatures and should be wiped out of the world, she didn't buy it. What could they possibly do that is worse than what humans have already done? Was what she thought every time she heard her mother's lecture. She never said it out loud though, she knew it would be worse than denying God. Her mother despised the humans that didn't abhor werewolves as much as she despised the creatures themselves. But even if she did try her best not to show her discordance with the topic, her mother could see it in the way she didn't involve herself in the cult meetings or lectures like her siblings. Still, she never brought it up.

Amelia was taken from her thoughts by her younger sister, Juliette, pulling her arm. "The meeting is almost over, we need to go to the door." Was all she said before going through the crowd in the direction of the door, being followed by a reluctant Amelia.

"Thank you for coming. We will wait for you next Thursday. Remember to bring your family and friends. Spread the word. God bless you." Amelia murmured - with her voice so low that she almost wasn't heard - to the last one to leave the Church. She sighed, looking at the few flyers left in her hands, knowing she will have to go to the city first thing tomorrow morning to hand them all out until the last one is in a future cultist's hands.

"You need to speak louder and make them feel welcomed." Her mother reprimanded her loudly. "Hearing you talking is like hearing a damn mouse. You are an adult - twenty-two years old. For the love of God, behave as such! These people need to see our strength while we fight evil." It wasn't the first time Amelia heard this, 'she isn't good for business', her mother would say, 'but she got good looks that call out for attention'. Amelia felt dirty hearing this.

While her mother criticized her, a movement caught her attention. Three people were exiting the medical clinic that had always been on the other side of 5th street. Wearing white clothes it was obvious that they worked there, and they were laughing, happy to be together. Amelia was lost in the sight before her. A happy family - something that seemed so distant from her reality.