11.

The path was silent. After a few miles, Ethan turned the radio on, in low volume only to fill the air around them. Amelia wanted to know where they were going, but she was scared of the possible answer, so she chose to wait and see it by herself. Instead, she enjoyed the trip, inevitably thinking about the last time she got in a car for a trip.

It was the beginning of the winter. The snow was accumulating at the top of the trees, the floor had already a thin layer of the white and cold carpet, making the ever-so-green landscape look more beautiful and less scary than the suffocating deep green and brown.

Even with the fast pace of the car making it difficult to actually appreciate the view, Amelia was hoping that she could only look out the window the whole trip. But she wasn't lucky enough to get that few hours for herself and her own thoughts.

Her siblings were arguing over something Amelia didn't know and didn't care about enough to ask, but her mother gave her a look saying that it was her fault and she needed to get them to stop. Sighing she turned to the teenagers and tried her best to get between them, which only made them argue each side of her.

The trip was to go visit some other crazy man that had the same beliefs as her mother. Magnus was driving, the old and stinking car was his. He was one of the most participative believers in the anti-werewolf cult that her mother led. Amelia found him particularly more disgusting than the others, especially with the dirty looks he would give her through the rearview mirror.

It was unusual for them to go along with their mother when she would visit people in other cities, and Amelia guessed the repugnant man had something to do with their presence there. She shivered and - still in the middle of her siblings - tried to make herself as small as she could while thinking of ways to avoid him when they arrived at their destination.

"Amelia? What is wrong?" A strong voice asked. But it didn't scare her as she heard the genuinely worried tone. "Amelia?" He asked again and she felt a hand hold her own making her look up fast with wide eyes.

"Yes?" She murmured out of breath. The golden amber eyes looking so concerned for her making her open a small smile.

"Your heartbeat increased and you started to shrink in the seat." Ethan said looking at the road, slowing the velocity down. After looking at her again, he got more anxious. "Jesus. You are shaking, Amelia. What is going on?"

Amelia was surprised, she didn't notice any of this before. She was so lost in bad thoughts that she wasn't paying attention to the real world.

She hugged herself, to stop shaking and tried to calm Ethan. "I am okay. I was just remembering stuff." It didn't seem to be the best way to soothe Ethan when she saw his face contorting as if he was in pain. He kept his gaze ahead, but his hands tightened their grip on the steering wheel.

"Your life was so terrible that one memory has you fucking shaking?" That was the first time she heard him cursing, and it only added to the fact that he was visibly mad making Amelia shiver and back off slowly touching the car door with her back.

Ethan noticed the movement and corrected himself. "I am not mad at you. How could I? You are not responsible for what happened to you. I am mad at everyone that made you fear so much in the past that now you can't fully trust anyone." He said energetically, showing this was something that was in his mind for some time. He stole a glance at her to see her reaction, and when he saw her blank face his hand reached for hers, but he quickly took it back.

"I would never hurt you, in any way. I would rather die, and I am serious about it." He used that tone, the one that showed he wasn't kidding and Amelia stayed silent, waiting to understand where he was going with this talk.

"And I will never let anyone touch you with bad intentions. You are new to all of this, but that is the truth, me and the whole pack, we will take care of you. You don't need to be ever afraid of one of us, a family doesn't hurt each other, they help to heal the wounds and move on."

"What I am going to show you now..." He made a pause to take a deep breath. "This is the solid end of your old life. And as soon as you are ready, your new life will start with us. As much shocking as it will be, just... just remember that I will always be here for you, okay? Not only me but Taylor too. I know you two are close. And Ness, and George, Matt... all of them. We are here for you now, and we will be after this." He stopped the car, but Amelia was too busy looking at him trying to process everything he just told her to notice.

He took off the belt and turned his body toward her, staring directly at her eyes. Seeing her so vulnerable made him soften his expression, to be strong for her. "Do you believe in me?" It was clear that this was a very important question. He wanted her to believe him, he needed it. Nothing would work without trust.

"I am trying." Amelia confessed in a weak tone, not wanting to lie to him, but wanting him to see that she was doing her best even if it was really difficult. It seemed enough for Ethan when his pink lips turned into a gentle smile, the one that he seemed to use a lot with her, almost as if he was... proud, admiring her? She didn't know.

"That's good because we are here." He tried to keep his calm face on to help with her nervousness the best he could. Amelia looked around and noticed they were parked at the local gas station, she frowned but didn't say anything. "Do you really want to do this?" He asked again, and this time she only nodded her head, her confidence not being enough for verbal answers.

Ethan scanned her face looking for signals of hesitation but seemed to be satisfied when sighed and opened his door leaving the car. Amelia copied his movements and unlocked her belt. When she turned to the door, Ethan was already there, opening it for her and helping her out. She felt her cheeks get warm, remembering the romantic books she read and how this was a common occurrence in them.

He asked her to use his coat and put on the hood. He didn't explain but she did as he said, the black fabric engulfing her small frame and the hood covering her face. They walked side by side, Amelia following Ethan's directions. She soon noticed they were leaving the gas station and crossing the street towards the cemetery. She was more confused than ever when they entered through the large iron gate.

The silence between them grew tenser as they entered the place, walking between crypts and more crypts. She noticed Ethan was looking for a specific one when they arrived in the last section, which was half empty. He seemed to find it when his posture suddenly was rigid and his pace got slow, delaying the arrival. He glanced at her every few seconds, what he was looking for Amelia wasn't sure.

After a few more steps, they stopped in front of a crypt that looked new, the grass had barely begun to rise above it. Amelia looked up to Ethan with a confused face, and he returned the stare with a look so sad in his face that it hurt her heart. He sighed and took her hand in his, pulling her around the grey stone, to look at the front of the crypt.

There wasn't a date, but there was, for her horror, a name.

Amelia Harvele

Another victim of the monstrous creatures

May God have her soul