Chapter 13

Neither Ian nor Vale spoke as they walked, each lost in their own thoughts. Mal rejoined them at the bottom of the stairs. The consistent sound of claw clicks against the wood ensured he was following close behind. They maneuvered through the Haren'elen and out onto one of the many branch-bridges. Ian was replaying the conversation with The Seer, wondering if he has asked the right questions. Mal occasionally nudged him as he started to drift off in the wrong direction. They crossed over a branch-bridge and on the other side Vale stopped.

"Here we are. This-" She said, turning to face Ian and the pair nearly collided. Her reflexes were sharp, so she easily avoided Ian's graceless, lumbering with a precise step. Ian was not as graceful. He comically stumbled past her and spilled out onto the walkway in front of a set of doors.

Vale straightened her cloak to cover a laugh. She raised a hand towards the tree behind her. "As I was saying, this is the Star-Tree Inn. The Seer has been gracious enough to fund your accommodations for the duration of your stay." She looked down at him, her serious demeanor returning, "Please conduct yourself accordingly." With that, she marched inside, her faithful wolf right on her heels.

Ian mocked her attitude with some choice facial expressions from his spot on the ground. Then he got to his feet and followed after her.

He pulled open the double doors and did a double-take after stepping through. The floor, walls, and ceiling were all carved from white marble. Soft white light emanated from strategically placed floating orbs, giving an orderly but welcoming appearance. Straight ahead was a grand reception desk, a comfortable dining area off to the left, and even signs for an indoor lagoon.

Vale was speaking rapid Elvish when he approached the receptionist's desk, presumably procuring Ian's room key. Ian shoved his hands into his pockets and tried to lean his back against the desk in an attempt to blend in. Unfortunately, the desk was too low for him to properly balance himself against. He slipped and knocked over a cup of quills, causing himself to further stand out.

Ian, pretending like nothing happened, continued to visually explore the lobby with his best expression of innocence. He noted that the plaque on the desk read Hailer: Reyli. The conversation switched to origin, he assumed for his benefit, and he turned his attention to the elves.

"I don't know how long he will be staying, but please see to it that he is comfortable."

"Of course, Ranger Therrae." Hailer Reyli said with a nod. She'd picked up on Vale's cue and changed to origin as well. "His room has been prepared as you requested." The Hailer retrieved a large, ornate, brass key ring from underneath the desk and made a note in her ledger before passing it to Vale.

Vale pocketed the key and gave a nod of thanks. She faced Ian and gestured towards the burnet elf, "This is Reyli, one of the Hailers and overseer of the inn. If you require anything in the evening, see her." She shifted her arm slightly to the right, pointing out another dark-haired elf who was almost identical. She had her arms full of parchment and disappeared back into an office behind the desk. "Or her twin counterpart Lirey, during the day."

Mal made a soft whimper at the mention of Lirey and looked up to Vale with wide eyes. She knelt, putting herself at eye level with him for her response, "Well I don't know Mal, would you like me to ask her?"

An excited growl and swishing tail confirmed it.

Vale stood up and "Lady Lirey, Mal wishes to know if he can visit with you two while I take Ian upstairs?"

Hearing her name Lirey poked her head out of an office door with the widest grin, "Hey! Yes, of course, we'll look after him. We love it when Mal visits!"