Chapter 69

Roland did not like leaving Ban'Koliath on his own. At least the minotaur was taking Mal with him, that gave Roland a measure of reassurance. And he accepted that he had to trust in his friend as Ban'Koliath trusted in the Order. He watched Ban'Koliath and Reige set out across the room then led the way to the library. Their goal was simple enough, get in find the Star Chart, get out.

They entered the endless stacks of books and for a moment Roland battled with the sirens call from the many arcane texts that lay in the reading area. It was easy enough for him, but he noticed Pandora struggling to maintain her control. Before he could aid her, however, her spine stiffened, and then she relaxed, gesturing for him to lead on. Ban'Koliath had drawn out a simple sketch of the Key beforehand and Roland consulted it now. His friend might not be an artist, but it got the job done.

"This way," Roland said, gesturing off to the right. What immense knowledge must be housed here... He thought as they walked, unconsciously taking a long swig from his flask. With so much unknown knowledge around his head was already pounding. The rush of a soothing burn from the liquor helped, as always, to quiet his mind. After a short jog, Roland was surprised, but pleased, when Ban'Koliath's map led them to the scroll rack of Star Charts. And even better it was unguarded.

Trusting his memory to the task, he searched through them looking for the spiraling cluster of stars. He believed Ian called it, "The Milky Way." Scrolls rained down around him and lay half unfurled against the rack as he madly rifled through the rack. Trendal and Pandora watched the end of the aisle, the ranger with his bow taut and there were flickers of ice dancing around Pandora's fingers.

"Mission accomplished," Roland said, seizing the Star Chart and climbing down. "Now let's go before we overstay our welcome."

An audible clatter rang out as the ranger's bow fell to the marble floor. Closely followed by a squeak of surprise from Pandora. Trendal stretched his arms behind his back and twisted his neck to one side, letting out a resonating crack. The mask of amiability fell from his face. Literally. Skin sloughed off his cheeks and forehead, plopping with a sickening smack onto the floor. His hands flexed causing the skin coating his fingers split and fall, joining the growing mess on the floor. He bowed his head and tucked inwards until the last bit of the illusion melted away.

Before them stood a man, who was bland in nearly every sense of the word. His features were instantly forgettable. His hair was a dull lackluster brown. His build was unremarkably average. But his eyes. They were the eyes of a man who walks with Death as his champion.

"I'm going to need that scroll back if you please." Came a deep, almost sensuous voice. "Apparently, Dakon can't even follow the simplest of instructions."

"Who are you?" Pandora asked from Roland's side, already the icy blue magic laced her fingers. She'd moved away from Not-Trendal as his elven disguise fell away.

Roland didn't bother with questions. "Praedefio." He summoned his shield to surround himself and Pandora without a moment to spare. Daggers plinked off the blossoming orange sphere of light leaving faint ripples of gold rushing along the barrier. He grabbed Pandora by the wrist and ran back through the stacks towards the entrance. Light blooming across his shield every step of the way.

"Run. Find Ban'Koliath." Roland said when the library exit came into sight.

Behind them, their unknown assailant appeared out of the stacks, a lazy smile on his thin lips.

Pandora looked from the former Trendal to Roland. "If you die I'm going to kill you!" She let fly shards of magical ice and ran for the exit. She caught a glint of metal spinning through the air from the corner of her eye. She was beyond the shield, it was going to hit her. She lifted her hands as the dagger tumbled towards her.

A furious gust of wind kicked up around Pandora and sent the blade wildly off course. Pandora continued her run at a breakneck pace, she did not look back. Roland made certain she was safe before looking back at the strange man he'd known as Trendal. Venomous. Dangerous. These words echoed in Roland's mind as he planned his next move.

"Who are you?" Roland called out, pulling the man's attention away from the retreating Pandora.

Those dead eyes lingered on Pandora a moment longer before sliding back towards Roland. "I am known by many names. Though for our conversation, Kaelic will do." Kaelic bowed formally, but the gesture was only a ruse to strike once more. Two blades, drawn from seemingly out of nowhere, flashed out and struck Roland's barrier.

The library door slammed shut acting as a signal to Roland. In his mind, he conjured his most powerful spells. They appeared to him as a scrolling index of arcane words and when he found the one he wanted he smiled. All the while he kept his shield up. The complexities of performing such magic caused sweat to drip from Roland's brow.

Kaelic flashed Roland a joyless smile and pulled out a vial from his leather chest piece. "Fanriga!" He exclaimed, popping the cork and downing the contents.

"Proi'ecto quae!" Roland called out as the last drop of liquid left the vial. A salvo of yellow-orange darts was unleashed upon his opponent. The darts were made of pure magical force, and while each one's power was no greater than a hard punch, in such numbers they were deadly.

Kaelic ran into the asile to his right. Books, shelves, and anything else the assassin could throw in the path of the darts exploded out from the aisle. Successfully avoiding every single magical missile with grace and ease. All the while Kaelic pressed Roland. A clever toss of a dagger through an opening in the books. Several arrows pinged off the shield, Roland guessed he'd retrieved Trendal's bow. The last missile sped down the aisle and book pages exploded out as though a feather pillow had burst.

An urn came hurtling out from the aisle, impacting with Roland's shield and the force brought him to his knees. Fine, let's see him dodge this, Roland thought. He stood with a grunt of effort and summoned his power. The barrier protecting Roland flickered and sparked as he drew in magic. He didn't know where Kaelic had run but there was going to be no escape, no dodging, not from this.

"Mur'eegn!" Roland bellowed, and a wall of fire erupted into existence. The barrier flickered and sputtered in spots as Roland's magic was pushed to its limits. The flames spread out with a flex of his fingers, eating away at the shelves and spreading out along the floor. It was immense, inconceivable, but it wasn't enough.

Kaelic continued to hammer away at Roland. What few objects that survived the heat struck the mages flickering shield. He took a moment to stand on the top of a bookcase, peering over the flames at his prey.

"Pity," Kaelic said, "I would've liked more of a challenge."

Roland ignored the taunt. His face contorted in pain as he dug into the well of his magic, calling for more power. The flames at the base of the wall changed, flowing from orange to red to white in seconds. The wall of fire swirled up licking at the ceiling, and blocking Kaelic from his hazy sight. Roland gambled with his life as he dropped his shield. He couldn't afford to control both spells any longer. He needed to wrangle the fire and for that, he needed both hands. Palms bared, and fingers splayed, he sent the spell forward engulfing the room in a wall of infernal death.