Chapter 49

The trip through the Transmission Spring was, unpleasant. With no agreed upon location each of them thought of their safe space. As a result, the Spring had sent them to a middle ground after a gut-wrenching journey. Ian had promptly emptied the contents of his stomach in the high grasses upon landing. The others fared little better, all landing in a breathless sprawl. Through sheer force of will, Roland managed to keep Ban in his net.

When Ian finished emptying his stomach, he took in their new surroundings. The group had been unceremoniously deposited on the outskirts of a jungle. The chittering, chirping, cawing sounds flowing out from the darkened interior reminded Ian of the Amazon back on Earth. The huge trees as thick around as a car was long created a wall before the jungle. Each tree was coated in vines; some of which Ian swore were moving. Predatory growls, a faint rustling in the bushes, and even a flash of light here and there gave life to the jungle. And, more importantly, the dangers therein.

"Everyone alright?" Ian asked, turning his back on the forest and going to check on his companions.

"We're fine," Vale reported back, getting to her feet along with Mal. The lupine looked as though he were ill with his long tongue lolled to one side. He made a yaking sound into the grass.

"Great. Where are we?" Roland muttered, as he sat up groggily. His violet eyes darting to the jungle as the sounds of a struggle and a burst of light flared up.

"Let us set up camp first, we can find out where we are in the morning," Vale pulled her long daggers free from the sheaths on her back and offered one to Ian. "Cut the grass down, Gent. Roland see to Ban'Koliath. Mal guard."

Ian set about cutting down the tall grass with Vale's blade to clear a campsite. Roland's face was pale and drawn as he tended to Ban as best he could, it was clear the mage was exhausted. Mal was circling behind Ian as the camp took shape, making sure there were no threats. When Vale had cleared a spot with her other dagger she helped Roland move Ban and took over his care. A couple of potions from her bag and the minotaur drifted off to sleep, leaving her to bind the worst of his cuts.

Roland created a small flame in the center of their clearing, took a drink from his dangerously low flask, and then promptly sat down. He reached over without asking and pulled the Star Chart from Vale's quiver. He unfurled the scroll and scrutinized it in the soft firelight. His magical education covered the theory of Star Charts. They were extremely rare magical objects, and dangerous. The right Chart allowed wizards access to untold resources and power.

Ian finished clearing the camp and handed Vale's dagger back to her. He sat down heavily as their escape replayed in his mind. Dakon had brought down buildings, buildings, in an attempt to stop them. The only reason they'd escaped at all was due to the interference of the High Cavaliers. They had tried to subdue Dakon.

How much is my life worth? Shouldn't I end this and turn myself over to the Court? Do we even have a chance to begin with? To battle something like that? He couldn't stop the tide of emotions that welled up inside him. Then a gentle hand squeezed against his shoulder and tugged him out of the spiral of damning thoughts. He turned to find Vale sitting next to him with a tired but kind smile.

"Ian, none of this is your fault." Vale said as though she'd read his thoughts. Her tone soft and soothing to his ears, "You cannot hold yourself accountable for events that are beyond your control. That is the way to madness.""

"Thank you," Ian said, flashing her a ghost of a smile. He let out a sigh and sat back, trying to quell the roiling turmoil in his stomach. "Next steps?"

"We'll figure out what to do in the morning, and where to go," Vale said, letting her hand drop and turning her attention from Ian out to the darkened woods. "I am not quite sure where we ended up. When we got to the Transmission Spring I thought of the safety of Landorei."

"Mage tower in Juscalius," Roland spoke without looking up from the Chart, "the defenses there are nigh impregnable. Safest place I know."

"I was thinking of the Seventh Precinct, full of guns, ammo, and people who know how to use them," Ian admitted.

"Consequently, we have ended up somewhere between," Roland said as he rolled up the Star Chart. "Though Ian's impossible choice most likely threw the Spring off entirely. There's no way of knowing until we find something we recognize."

"We are in no forest I am familiar with," Vale commented while she double checked Ban's bandages. Relieved to see his bleeding had finally stopped.

"Great," Ian let out an exasperated groan. "Obviously, I have no clue where we are, but the sounds coming from in there make me nervous." He gestured toward the forest.

"I imagine we all agree that sentry spells take priority. I did bring my house-tent, but I don't have the strength to raise it and do the protections." Roland said in agreement. He got to his feet and paced the perimeter of the camp. Magical sigils flashed and faded as he began casting spells that would protect them through the night. When he finished he nearly collapsed. Even in the dim firelight his face looked ashen and shone with sweat. He sat down, before he fell down, and was fast asleep in seconds.

Mal hadn't moved since he'd planted himself near Ban. He was facing the darkness, his ears almost constantly swiveling at all the noise. Vale unhooked her quiver and bow knelt beside him, whispering in her native tongue. Their stalwart guardian laid down, but he did not cease his watch.

Vale sat down and leaned against Mal's back, using him as a pillow. Her emerald eyes fell on Ian as she patted the ground next to her, inviting him to do the same.

"He won't mind?" Ian asked as he wearily crawled over.

"He will let you know if he does. But he does make for an excellent alarm," Vale said, giving Mal's ear a scratch.

Ian tentatively laid his head back against Mal's ribs. The wolf didn't stir save for an ear twitch. He looked over to Vale and found she was already fast asleep against her companions' hind leg. He had a few moments to truly appreciate her before the rhythm of Mal's heart, along with the softness of his fur, lulled Ian into a deep slumber.