Chapter 42

"Valethalassa, Ian!"

The pair came out from behind a vent shaft and hurried to the door at Ban's whispered call.

"Any problems?" Vale asked.

"Justiciar Law is closing today, forever. I doubt it is a coincidence, but the office is empty." Ban said as he ushered them inside. "We need to head back down to the lawyour workspaces, cross the floor, and get through the doors to get up to the Partner's floor. Be prepared for anything once we reach the Partner's floor, I have never been, so I don't know what to expect."

Vale and Ian nodded, following Ban inside. He led them back to the W shaped office space. With Flint gone the office was completely dark, save for the moonlight filtering in through the windows. Ban led them to a set of ornate double doors in the far corner. Across the doors written in bold white spellskrit were the words:

PARTNER'S AREA:

Restricted Access

"Ready?" Ban asked, drawing his hammer in one hand and grasping the door handle in the other.

Ian and Vale drew their weapons. Ban twisted the handle and tugged on the door. It didn't budge. He pulled harder. He pulled so hard that the veins on his muscular arm began to stand out and his teeth ground against each other. Still, nothing happened. Ban dropped away from the door and Vale stepped in, sliding her bow over her shoulders as she moved.

Vale whipped out her daggers and slashed around the lock. There was nary a scratch on the door when she finished. She frowned and set the tip of her blade against the stubborn wood and leaned in. The dagger sank into the wood and a smile of triumph flashed across her face. The grin dissolved into a grimace of pain. She dropped her dagger; the blade and hilt were white-hot. The heated metal started burning a hole in the carpet. The ranger sucked on her blistered fingers as she stomped around the edges of the blade, keeping the carpet from igniting.

"Manaka dor Kelia!" She angrily hissed at the door.

They had one final option if Paragorian sneak-thievery wasn't going to work. Ian's survival card. Roland, with Ian's help, had tested the survival tool before their departure. No matter what Roland threw at it the steel did not react. The mage concluded it must have some magical nullification properties. Which explained how it had dispelled Ivy's enchantment on his gun.

Vale stepped back, and Ian slipped up to the double doors and drew out the card. After a deep breath, he positioned the card along the crack in the doors, stopping right before he slid it in. Hesitating as a thought came to him. He looked over his shoulder to the minotaur.

"Ban, when magic is nullified, can it explode?" Ian asked.

"There is no standard reaction when it comes to magic. If Roland were here he might be able to tell us, but we must press on. We cannot waste this opportunity, as we will surely not have another." Ban replied without looking back. He was keeping his eyes on the offices. A sense of foreboding had settled in around him and he could not shake it. His usual placid demeanor was set on edge. His ears twitched and swished in agitation as his eyes darted around for the source of his unease.

"Okay, here goes," Ian breathed and turned back to the door. Vale touched Ian's shoulder, stopping him.

"I heard something." She whispered, cocking her head to one side. Her long pointed ears twitched as she listened. "Ban'Koliath, stay with Ian. Something is not right." She picked up her cooled dagger and slipped it back into its sheath. She stepped into the office while drawing her bow and knocked an arrow. She disappeared around a corner and into the depths of the office.