Chapter 35

Ian noticed something was wrong. Very wrong. Landorei, which had been so lively and bright the last time, now appeared muted and solemn. Banners flew from every bough and branch of the noble Heren'elen. The colors were all dark purples and blacks with the center emblem, a stag, etched in silver. A faint melody permeated the air, both sad and beautiful.

"Someone important has passed," Roland commented while looking over the banners strung between the massive Okalla trees. He pulled out his flask and took a sip before raising it into the air in a drunkard's salute.

Ban cocked a conical ear to listen to the music. "The Song of Lament. I've only heard it once before, after the passing of an elven Brassman." He said.

Vale had said nothing since their arrival. Her eyes scanned over the banners, and her mouth fell open in shock. Shaking her head, she whispered, "No."

Mal had forced his head into her hand and let out a whining sigh.

She scratched his forehead, soothing herself more than her companion. Her tone had an odd disconnect to it as she spoke to Mal. "Guide them to the cave, Mal. Do not wait for me." Before anyone could ask any questions, she ran off towards the Heren'elen.

Ian watched her running away, certain he had seen tears in her eyes. "I know that weird is a relative term for me anymore, but that was definitely weird. Should we be worried about her?"

"She's lifetimes older than us, Ian. She doesn't need us getting in the way of something we don't understand." Roland assured him.

Ian offered no comment, he just watched Vale until she was out of sight. When she was gone a wet nose in his hand pulled his attention away. A soft huff and Mal led the somber group through the crowds to the main gates. Everywhere they looked people were dressed in purples and blacks, some holding muted conversations, others crying.

The song faded away as they reached the edge of the city. The depressing mood that had settled over them seemed to go with it, leaving behind only a sense of loss.

......

The cave where Ian had woken in this world was a fair hike from the city, but with Mal in the lead, they made good time. Ian began to recognize their path as they passed the Forbidden Waters. Even now Ian felt the nymph's alluring pull on his mind, beckoning him into the cool clear water. He set his mouth to a grimace and ignored it. Ban and Roland gave no indication that it affected them. When they came to a clearing with all the torn down Ironwood limbs Roland called them to a halt.

"Wait here, I don't want anything disturbed more than it already has been." With that the mage walked towards the cave mouth, shouting to Ban over his shoulder. "If I'm not back in an hour do that thing you do with the hammer and the heroics!" He entered the cave mouth.

"You're sure he's a brilliant mage, right?" Ian asked.

"More than either of us could ever hope to understand, my friend," Ban said, not sounding entirely confident in his statement.

......

Inside the cave, Roland twisted a silver ring on his right hand. Soft yellow light shone out guiding his way. He touched the walls and followed a faint pulse he felt in his fingertips. He was searching for magical energies. And this cave was rife with them. Reaching into his robe he pulled out his small flask and took a hard pull. It eased his ever-present headache. And not for the first time he cursed the Twins and the gift they'd bestowed on him. He took another sip and then slipped the cap back onto the flask and stowed it away in one of the many hidden pockets of his robe. Feeling settled now, he walked through the cave with an easier stride.