Chapter 56

Ban'Koliath and Roland had little difficulty getting directions to the nearest mage of any repute, a fellow known as Allister Secundus. He was the Grand Sage of the Wurm Sea, High Councilor to the Juscalius District of Magical Practitioners, and a whole host of bloated titles that caused Roland to roll his eyes. A brisk walk found them in front of a mansion with a conical tower attached on the right side.

"What is it with mages and towers?" Roland asked, letting out a sigh of frustration, "I swear, if I ever decide to set up a real shop I'm going to make it the least mage-y building imaginable."

The property was ringed by a stone wall, with a large open portcullis serving as a front gate. Beyond lay a sprawling lawn, complete with topiaries, an oversized fountain, extravagant trim work, and sconces along the edges of the mansion. They took the gate being open as an invitation to enter and strolled up the front door. Ban'Koliath went to knock but Roland stopped him short.

"Let me do the talking. I know how to deal with this type of character," Roland said with a devious smile. The smile unnerved Ban'Koliath but he stepped back from the door nonetheless.

Roland took the lead, though there was a subtle snort from the minotaur that he chose to ignore. He instead pulled out a smooth, slender wooden stick from within the folds of his robe and then grabbed the weighty iron door knocker. With seven knocks he tapped out an intentional rhythm.

"Yes, what is it?" A nasally voice piped up as the last echoing knock faded away. The door knocker came alive, in a manner of speaking, its hollow eyes and mouth moving and shifting as it came alive. "I'm very busy today and I don't have any inclination to deal with your issues. Unless you are from the Arcanum Adjustment Guild?" The knocker twisted to face Roland and gave him an appraising eye, "Definitely not. What do you want?"

Roland made an epic display of the twig he'd pulled from his sleeve moments ago. "I'm not here to waste your time. I am here to make a trade. I require the shell of a roc egg, I'm sure you know the one, and I am in very much of a hurry. So I am willing to sacrifice this wishing wand as a trade."

Ban'Koliath's eyebrows shot up as he took another look at the twig then back to Roland. Without so much as a word the knocker fell silent and still resuming its unassuming appearance. Ban'Koliath uncrossed his arms and made to leave but Roland held up a hand. "Wait for it."

A few minutes later they heard bolts being undone and locks turned. And soon enough the heavy wooden door swung open. The face matched the voice perfectly. Sharp edges, immaculate pink robes, well-trimmed mustache. The man extended his hand which Roland accepted and gave a hearty shake. From Allister's expression it was clear that had not been what he'd intended.

"Salaman Kane." Roland said as he shook.

Ban'Koliath snorted but said nothing, they needed the ingredient.

"Pleasure to meet you, Gent Allister," Roland continued, "I am told you are a mage of some repute in this city and I am in dire need of a spell component. No doubt you've heard the Transmission Spring is broken, and my friend and I have a most pressing appointment in Raxal. So, I thought I would see if you would be willing to help my companion and myself out. Parrosean components are so hard to come by, the lesser mages never have these things," Roland, seeing he had the man's rapt attention, continued to lay it on thick. "Now I know it might seem suspicious to offer something so valuable, but I didn't want to come to you with anything insulting. And with the Spring being broken I find myself with few options for expedient travel. A mage of your standing can undoubtedly tell that this wishing stick has a single powerful charge. I was saving it as a gift, but desperate times call for crazy thinking. Feel free to inspect the wand, of course, measure the charge with your skilled eye. But once you are satisfied, will you trade us the shell?"