Chapter 33

Roland listened while Ian and Ban filled him in on why they needed his talents. Ian skimped out on some details, leaving out The Seer, Anders, and the Star Chart. When they finished the tale, the glazed look in the mage's eye was gone, replaced with an unnerving intensity as he processed the information.

"I can tell you are leaving something out, but everyone's entitled to their secrets," Roland said. The intense look faded away as he reached his conclusion.

Ian waved his hand in a move along gesture.

Roland glanced to Ban, who nodded, then pushed himself up and tapped his staff against the support beam on his tent. The dilapidated tent and stall began to ebb and fade. Solid, translucent, solid, translucent. With each fading pulse a little less came back. Soon the only object left was a satchel in the middle of the empty lot. Roland walked over and picked up the bag, slinging it over his shoulder.

"I'll help you. But only because I owe Ban for getting me out of a certain legal issue a while back." Roland inclined his head at Ban, "Lead the way, then."

"Wait, where'd the crappy tent go? Did you just Merlin it all into that bag?" Ian blurted out before Ban could respond.

"Crappy tent!? That is my house, and I'll have you know it's very luxurious! Pshhh, you non-magic types are so small-minded. I'll have you know-" Roland huffed and puffed out his chest, readying to launch into a full tirade.

"Roland!" Ban interjected, "Another world, remember? Be courteous to our guest. Now let us go and collect our elven friend so that we can be on our way."

Without further ado, the three set out to meet Vale. Ban and Roland in front speaking in hushed tones while Ian followed behind them. Once again, the minotaur earned a wide berth from the crowd thanks to his intimidating horns and over-sized hammer.

"Over there!" A voice boomed out over the crowded path.

Two men stepped out from the flow and directly into Ban's path. Both men wore blue tunics with shields of white embroidered over the right breast. The shield was quartered by two crossed swords. In the upper left section were three tally marks. Under the tunics, full sets of plate armor gleamed in the sunlight. And to complete the knight look, helmets adorned their heads with visors obscuring their faces.

"You three, halt! Lay down your weapons and be bound! By the laws of the Eternal Accord, you are to come with us!" Shouted the nearest knight, the visor creating an odd echo in his voice.

"What have you gotten me into now?" Roland asked Ban, a sardonic drawl in his voice.

"High Cavaliers," Ban said to Ian out of the side of his mouth, ignoring Roland.

More armor-clad figures appeared and quickly formed a ring around the three of them. As one they placed their hands on their sword hilts.

"You'll not be asked again." A knight said. He had a single tally mark on his tunic, marking him as a Knight-Commander.

"If you are here to bind me then you should know I am a lawyour. Please tell us, for what crimes are we to be bound?" Ban asked, squaring himself off with the Knight-Commander.

"You are wanted for questioning relating to last night's fires," The Knight-Commander said as he flicked up his visor, revealing a bearded human beneath. "Will you come peacefully?"

Ian raised a questioning eyebrow. Roland leaned against his staff, for all the world appearing to have fallen asleep on his feet. Ban reached his hand back for his hammer. The guards tensed, but Ban pulled the hammer from the back-strap, and set the head against the cobblestone, leaning on it.