Chapter 24

When Ban'Koliath arrived at the Five Crowns Hotel, the sun was dipping toward the horizon casting long shadows across the cityscape. After his successful conversation with Sharlot, he'd gotten the information on where Targel and Olayne Eveningfall were staying. He had the carriage drop him off a block away, where he took the time to survey the area. He spent ten minutes milling about outside before he was satisfied he wasn't being watched and headed inside.

He walked up to the reception desk, rapping on it and gaining the clerks' attention. "Evening, I'm looking for a human male and elven female that should have checked in earlier today. Perhaps you could assist?"

"Gent," the clerk said, pulling his head away from some files he was sorting. He gave the minotaur the same look of disdain he'd directed at Ian earlier. "We are not in the habit of giving out our guests' information. I am going to need some credentials, or a very good reason, to continue this conversation."

"Of course," Ban'Koliath replied, leaning against the counter. He fished around in his vest, and pulled out his lawyour badge for the clerk, Dave his nametag said, to examine. "Ban'Koliath, Lawyour for Justiciar Law. I need to speak with them and while witnesses mentioned this hotel, they didn't know any names or what room they were staying in."

"Oh," Dave said sounding a little disappointed when Ban'Kolith produced his badge. "Well, I will need more information than that Lawyour Ironroar."

"The man I'm looking for is about this high," Ban'Koliath said, stretching his arm up to indicated Ian's height, though he was still a few inches short. "With dark blonde hair. And the elf is a little shorter than myself, golden hair like sunshine. Names of Targel and Eveningfall. Sound familiar?"

"Yes, that does bring to mind a couple that came in here a few hours ago. Most unusual pairing but I'm not one to judge," The clerk ran his finger down the ledger that sat beside him and then picked up a pscry. "One moment please while I try their room."

Ban'Koliath was confident that they wouldn't panic when they heard that someone from the law firm was here to see them. After all, that's exactly what they were waiting for. He frowned when Dave hung up the pscry.

"Sorry Gent, there doesn't seem to be anyone there," Dave said.

"Then can I have the room number? It is very important that I speak with them, and they may be more liable to answer the door than the pscry." While he was speaking Ban'Koliath had retrieved a ten til coin from his vest pocket and discreetly slid across the countertop.

"I'm sorry, but we do not give out that information for respect for our guests' privacy. You understand," Dave said while pocketing the coin and scribbled the room number on a slip of paper.

"Thank you anyway," Ban'Koliath said as he picked up the note.

With a final nod, he headed for the floortal bank and pushed the summon button. Each floortal here had its own doorway with a porthole window in the center. He waited for the ding and pulled open the door. He checked the number written on the slip of paper before slipping it into his vest pocket, 1408. Stepping inside he tapped the button for the fourteenth floor. With a lurch, the floortal began its ascent. The lurch reminded him to take the stairs next time as an uncomfortable feeling settled in.

A minute later, during which Ban'Koliath thought of everything but being trapped inside the floortal, it slowed to a stop. He pushed open the door to the landing and stepped out swiftly enough to shed his discomfort. He walked down the carpeted hall, so he took it, eyeing door numbers as he went. When he reached the end of the hall and the correct room, he knocked twice and waited. His conical ears twitched as he tried to pick up the sound of movement from the other side of the door. Only silence.