Chapter 27

Hidden in the crowd, five sets of eyes ignored the spectacle of fire, instead, they followed the group's retreat. They all wore red robes with the off-kilter compass present. A woman stood apart from the rest, her eyes looking to the fallen man Ian had shot then back to their retreating targets. Without looking back she pointed upward. Two of the men broke away and pounced onto the side of the nearest building.

Ordinary hands twisted into long razor-tipped claws as they leapt. They drove their claws with unbridled power into the stone which gave with ease, anchoring them to the wall. Their boots ripped open to reveal clawed feet and the pair climbed. Their bodies continued to change as they scaled the side of the building popping and expanding. The remains of their clothing fluttered to the street as the duo disappeared over the lip of the roof. The woman and the other two men moved away from the crowd and after their prey.

Ban took them down a narrow street packed with buildings butt-up against one another. The only break in the line of stone was a small alley halfway up the street. It was not an ideal road to travel but it was the swiftest route the minotaur knew to get to the clinic. He set a brisk pace towards the T intersection at the far end.

Ban picked up on the presence of the mercenaries before anyone else. He glanced backward to check on the progress of the group and spotted them. They had spread out to block the street behind them.

"We've got trackers. Three of them. Fight or run?" Ban asked, keeping himself relaxed. He didn't want the trackers to know he'd spotted them.

A brick tumbled down from the roof of a house ahead, shattering upon impact with the pavement. Instinctively Ian jerked his head to find the source of the sound. He saw the shadow's of two figures, leaping across a gap between the buildings. Ian spat out a curse at their misfortune.

"Above us too," Ian said as he shifted his gaze to the figures at the end of the street, "I think we're going to have to fight."

Vale didn't spare them a glance. She was helping Mal along, trying to get him away from the rapidly escalating danger. With one hand she drew a dagger while the other guided her faithful companion to the stoop of a house. She held the ornate curved blade with the pommel facing up and the blade resting against her forearm. Over her many years of practice, she'd found this the best combination of both offense and defense with the short-range weapon.

"They're herding us. We need to beat them to the cross street." Ban muttered as he picked up the pace.

Ian felt that familiar tingle on the back of his neck. He'd never had so many of these tingles before coming to Paragore. He might have had a dozen of them, ever, on Earth but now they were becoming a common occurrence. And one he was learning to embrace, in the interest of continuing his life. He spared a quick look up and saw the two shadows jumping across to a slanted roof a few buildings ahead of them. Damn, they are fast, Ian thought.

"I don't think that's an option anymore," Ian said as he drew his pistol.

A heavy thud echoed down the empty street. The rooftop runners landed in the middle of the intersection, cutting off their forward escape. Behind them, the rear pursuit had come to a stop near the alley entrance and drew their swords. Their leader was wielding a katana that shone with a faint purple glow. Her lackeys held curved blades reminiscent of scimitars. The trap was sprung and they'd boxed in their prey.

"Kannak!" Ban's deep voice barked out.

"Hassdoro!" Vale hissed out at the same time.

"What!?" Ian yelled in response, he wasn't sure if the words were a warning or a curse. He glanced at his companions and then followed their gazes to the end of the street. His glance changed into a slack-jawed stare.