Chapter 25

Vale and Ian moved out of the crowd, planning on following the minotaur. That became a moot plan when someone on the street shouted, "What in the Abyss is that!?"

The pair turned, along with the rest of the crowd, to stare at the side of the Five Crowns. A trio of flaming spiders were rapidly scaling the glass facade, leaving trails of molten glass in their wakes.

Ian gave Vale an expectant look, as though she would know the answer.

Vale, in turn, looked to Mal, who only licked her hand in response.

"No idea, but I can say that it is nothing natural." Vale said as the trio of spiders punched through a window on the fourteenth floor. She tugged at his sleeve pulling him towards the edge of the crowd. Through her raised cloak hood she shouted into the closest shop for someone to call the Fire Mages. With that done she scratched along Mal's ear intently while revising her plan.

"Let's wait here. There's no sense in running into a burning building." She said.

They settled on joining the crowd of gawkers.

It wasn't long before red and white-robed figures appeared on the sidewalk. And soon they were directing the crowd to move back, making room for those pouring out of the lobby. More fire mages arrived and ran into the building preparing spells and equipment to extinguish the fire. A line of Fire Mages formed and they bombarded the blaze with shards of frost, globes of water, and freezing winds. It would not take them long to douse the fire.

Ian spotted their target stumbling out from the front entrance. It was clear the minotaur, or mini-taur as Ian thought of him, was attempting to lose himself in the crowd. Ian and Vale split up. Vale moved through the tightly packed people, heading for her quarry. While Ian stalked around the outskirts, pacing the lawyour.

Mal was helping to forge a path for Vale through the masses. The ranger pushed her way straight on, using the path Mal created for her to keep up with their elusive target. One hand clasped around the handle of a blade as she weaved through the crowd.

Tracking someone the mini-taur's size was no easy feat through a crowd. Still, Ian stayed on his trail, unwilling to lose the only lead that they had. He followed his hunch about the minotaur's direction and managed to stop right where he would exit.

Vale timed the interception perfectly; Ban'Koliath never even saw it coming. She pressed her blade against the minotaur's back, making certain to apply enough pressure to let him feel the blade through his leather armor.

"Move slowly, away from the crowd. Do not draw attention to yourself." Her voice was cool and very in control. She made it clear that this wasn't some ill-plotted mugging. She gave Ban'Koliath a hard shove to steering him clear of the crowd and face to face with Ian.

Ban'Koliath let out a snort of annoyance, knowing he should've been more vigilant. He cast a quick glance behind and spotted the female elf that he'd been searching for. He tensed when she prodded him again and began moving as directed. He knew nothing of his captors but wasn't concerned by his current predicament. After all, he was a Custodian of Peace and a very good one at that. And he expected that they, like everyone else, would underestimate him because of his height.

Ian stayed on their suspect's right trying to act casual. The minotaur began to drift towards him, but a soft warning growl from Mal persuaded him to correct his course. Ian had a growing suspicion that his presence was not entirely required here. Regardless, they were soon all standing across the street from the smoking hotel in front of a crowded cafe.

Vale moved to stand beside Ian. Mal sat on his haunches behind Ban'Koliath, blocking off any chance their prisoner had of escaping. No one was paying them any mind. The crowd was enthralled with watching the Fire Mages battle the inferno.