Chapter 63

With the ingredients in hand, Roland cast the teleportation spell that took them to the southern Sister Cities. Or close enough. From there they used the working Transmission Spring to travel to Landorei. With Ban'Koliath's position in the Order, it was easy for them to move about the network of Springs. Which was fortunate because with them they carried Valethalassa's battered body. While they couldn't save her, they made certain to see her home.

They landed in a disheveled pile of exhaustion, save for Ban'Koliath. The minotaur was carrying Valethalassa's body and remain stoically on his feet. He turned toward the ring of Order members as several of them put their hands on their weapons.

"Hold, Brothers," Ban'Koliath said, his tone was remorseful and commanding at the same time. "We mean no harm. I am a fellow Brassman trying to return Lady Therrae to her home for her final rest. Bring forth the Watchman, and I will prove my marking."

Ban'Koliath gently laid Valethalassa down. Mal was quickly beside her, laying his head down on her shoulder and giving out a soft, sorrowful whimper.

"I am Watchman Kalador," Spoke a soldier as he stepped up onto the platform. He was dressed the same as the others except for a brass colored cloak and a pin on it that identified him as Watchman.

Ban'Koliath made his way towards the Watchman with his arms extended and whispered the phrase to reveal his identifying tattoo.

"Custodian," Kalador said after confirming the tattoo. The rest of the guards stood down while he gripped Ban's forearm and the pair shook.

"Watchman. I am Ban'Koliath of Clan Ironroar. And these two are mages who have been assisting me in my mission. The Second Ranger of the Fallen Kings was murdered in service to the Order. We brought her home, please send a messenger to the Fallen Kings' First Ranger." Ban'Koliath said, explaining things in short order.

"Right, well, I think you've got everything in order here," Roland interjected, jumping at the chance to skip any formalities. "We're going to head to the nearest inn, come and find us when you're done."

"I'm sorry my friend," Roland knelt and gave Mal's head a few pats, as he passed.

Pandora bowed her head in silent prayer and then numbly followed behind Roland. She'd been with them for one day, but in that short time, she had grown to respect Valethalassa. The ranger had been cool and steadfast, but she had also been kind and compassionate. The latter two were rare traits in Pandora's experience.

"You don't have to answer to me, or even to the First Ranger Trendal, but it would be a courtesy to our continued good relations if you told him what happened," Watchman Kalador said to Ban"Koliath as he waved to let them pass.

"Of course," Ban'Koliath said with a heavy sigh. "I'm sorry Mal," He said as he knelt beside the shadow wolf, "She was a great ranger and companion. I will inform First Ranger Trendal and leave you to say your farewells."

Mal gave a soft whimper and pushed his head against Ban'Koliath's hand before laying it back against Valethalassa's shoulder.

"May the shadows give way to eternal light," Ban'Koliath said softly. He climbed back to his feet. Exhausted, battered, and heavy of heart, the minotaur trudged away from the Spring and on toward the Heren'elen.

Ban'Koliath stood in the Rangers Garrison, he'd had never had cause to meet the First Ranger, so he wasn't sure what to expect. Inside the Garrison there was no hailer to greet him. With no one about, he took a step into the foyer and started as an owl came swooping down from its perch to land on his shoulder.