Chapter 58

After navigating the cramped streets Valethalassa, Pandora, and Ian emerged onto the docks and shorty reached Vin's Verdures. There was a gaudy, flashing sign outside which cycled through languages and colors.

"He insists it gives the shop a personal touch, for the customers to see the name written in a native tongue," Pandora explained as she held the door open for Valethalassa and Ian. Pandora noted the hand holding between the pair as she spoke but offered no comment. To which Valethalassa quickly dropped Ian's hand and they all strode into the shop.

The moment Ian crossed the threshold of the shop a siren went off. Four sets of curved black stone bands winked into existence, then promptly snapped shut around the imposter's wrists and ankles. Their heavy weight caused him to fall to topple over. A tall elven man, who had been speaking with a customer, stopped his conversation and leapt over the counter. He was dressed in an open vest that displayed his muscled tan chest and a pair of billowing silk pants. He drew a wand from his belt and bore down on the currently incapacitated Ian.

"What is-!" Valethalassa began, but the sight of Ian melting brought her up short.

In truth, the melting was a result of the illusion spell that had been cast on Not-Ian being expelled. Beneath the shell of the spell, a slender lizard-like creature with beady black eyes let out a squeak of dismay. Scales of rusty brown took the place of skin, a stubby tail wagged back and forth, and the creature itself stood no taller than three feet. Isp's hog like nose crinkled as the beast snorted in surprise. The kobold realizing he'd been exposed pulled and wriggled against the bands of onyx, snapping and snarling at them all the while. The magical bands held him fast and warped down to fit their prisoner's form. Vin waved the wand in a broad stroke which silenced the siren then pointed it menacingly at the kobold. Ips stopped snarling in the face of the glowing wand tip.

"This shop is warded against magic, save for my own. Very expensive but quite worthwhile. It gives my clients a sense of security," Vin explained looking up from his crouch to Valethalassa. He casually glanced over Pandora and did a quick double take. He got to his feet and rushed over, "Pandora!" An instant later he lifted her off her feet in a fierce hug.

Pandora squirmed under the embrace, she slapped against Vin's chest and kicked at his shins. "Put me down, you oaf!" The smile on her face belied any true annoyance at the greeting. But that smile faded and was replaced by a look of concern directed at Valethalassa.

"Forgive me, little sister!" He set her back down on her feet with a grand bow. "It has been too long since your last visit. If I recall correctly the last time I saw you was after the kraken..." His voice trailed off as he noticed Pandora's expression. "What's wrong?"

"We need help Vin," Pandora pointed at the kobold, "that is not our friend. And he is out there somewhere in this city and we need to find him. Can you help this grava worm find its tongue?"

"If I may?" Vin asked Valethalassa with a disarming smile. The ranger looked like she was ready to throttle Ips. But she relented, and Vin took her place. "Speak," Vin said, his voice reflected a tone of absolute authority, and the wand tip flared a soft green.

"You are too late! Talazar has captured your friend and is surely delivering him to Master as we speak! You will never stop us or our plan, soon enough the world will bow to the might of the Harlequin Court." Ips spat, finding the truth suddenly bubbling out, despite his best efforts to resist.

"The who now?" Vin asked, glancing at Pandora.

"The less you know the better," Valethalassa interjected. "Ask it where exactly they are taking Ian."

"You heard the lady, where are you taking their friend?" Vin demanded, twisting the wand and causing Isp to wriggle in pain as the wand tip flared again.

"Told..you..the Master wants him. Building near... the Spring. LET ME GO!" Ips yelled, thrashing wildly in his bonds.

"I think that's all he knows ladies," Vin said after giving the wand another twist, ignoring the protesting kobold, "Not much help to go on, but I do have eyes and ears in the city. With a description I am sure we'll find him."

"Alright," Valethalassa said with an exasperated noise, she knew she had no choice but to trust Pandora, and by extension Vin, "but listen, Pandora, when we find Ian you should stay here. There is no point in putting yourself at risk and further. His name is Ian, and he is human. Tall, blonde hair, green eyes, and he doesn't have any distinguishing markings. But he does carry himself in an odd manner and he has a strange accent. His weapon that stands out the most. He calls it a gun and-" From outside the unmistakable bark of Ian's gun sounded. "It sounds exactly like that." She didn't bother with further explanation she turned and ran for the door, following the direction of the gunfire.

"Go, I'll deal with this," Vin stated flatly, his eyes narrowing at the kobold.

Pandora gave him an apologetic look and bolted after Valethalassa. She couldn't believe what she was doing. She'd worked so hard to carve out a normal life for herself and now here she was, bounding off into untold dangers. But it was clear to her if half of what she'd heard was true these people needed help. And she was in a position to do exactly that.