Chapter 60

Dakon's spell engulfed the boardwalk, savagely turning the picturesque marketplace into a living nightmare of violence. Race, age, gender; none of it mattered. It was into this macabre massacre that Mal led Roland and Ban'Koliath. The trio became hard pressed to keep themselves from being drawn into the madness. Wild eyes and guttural screams were the only responses the minotaur and mage received in their quest for answers.

"Leave them," Roland said after the third attempt to coax a response from a crazed gnome, "they cannot be reasoned with, nor understand us. They are under some kind of panic magic."

"We need to get to Ian," Ban'Koliath said after delivering a swift chop to the neck of the gnome in his grip, rendering him unconscious. He set the gnome down and covered him with a tarp and hoping it would be enough. "You heard the sound of his weapon. Can't you do anything to pacify this crowd?"

"What do you think I've been doing? It's all I can manage to get them to ignore us!" Roland hissed.

Mal's ears perked up now and again as shouts echoed around the cramped alleyway. The shadow wolf was unconcerned about the people, with so much fear and anger permeating his every sense he had one goal; find Valethalassa. His vigilance paid off when, through the smoke and blood, he caught her scent. He let out a harsh bark to gain the other's attention and bounded off.

"Mal!" The smelly one yelled, but the wolf didn't care, he didn't stop. They were not his companion, and he could sense she needed him.

Ban'Koliath and Roland shoved, or in Roland's case used wind magic to blow, people out of the way as they pursued Mal through the chaos.

The trio and the pair were soon joined into a cohesive group as they fought off a small pack of goblins. After a swift brutal fight, where Ban'Koliath and the others fought to subdue, there was a swift exchange of stories. Roland produced the eggshell, and Valethalassa explained why Ian was not with them.

"Ian's gun went off after we dealt with the kobold impostor. But whatever magic is at work has made it nearly impossible to get through the crowded docks." Valethalassa said as she finished tying up the last assailant. She knelt to rub under Mal's chin. Roland cut through the air with his hand. The air he split flashed a deep red, bursting like a hundred tiny fireworks.

"Rage poison. The spell corrupts the minds of all those touched by it. All they can see is that which they most despise. It stokes the flames of hatred until nothing of reality is left. A mother would wring the life from her child with no doubt in her mind that she was ridding the world of some phantom evil," Roland said, his fists clenched so tightly that his knuckles turned white. "The closer we get to the source, the worse the destruction will be."

"Then we can do little for these people," Ban'Koliath said while looking out over the boardwalk, "There is a fire over there and that is where I heard Ian's weapon," He set his jaw in a grim line, "We head that way." Without preamble, he waded back into the chaos. The rest followed closely behind.

As they approached the market where Ian's shot had come from Pandora let out a strangled sob. A body lay at her feet, marred beyond recognition save for one crucial detail its size. It was the body of a child. The others fanned out beside her to look down at the tiny broken body, tears streamed down her cheeks.

"This... This isn't what magic is meant for," Pandora whispered, sobbing as quietly as she could manage.

"Magic is a tool," Roland said, giving her arm a gentle squeeze, "And like all tools, it can be used for good or ill. You know that."

"We cannot leave them like this," Valethalassa said, her shoulders sagging as she looked over the carnage. Some of the grievously wounded were still alive and moaning, or screaming in pain. "Can you help them?" She asked Pandora.