Chapter 16 - Griffin

I know something's wrong, and I'm already out of my chair and moving towards Dani before Everett even puts his hand on her shoulder. She's gone so still and looks like she's barely breathing, her eyes glued to the case board.

"Dani..."

Everett leans down in her face, shaking her shoulder gently trying to snap her out of it, as I reach for her, my hand brushing her other shoulder.

"Dani you ok?" I breath out, and vaguely realise I'm barely breathing, her face is so pale.

Her eyes come back into focus and she blinks at both of us, before she steps away and digs her hand in her bag. She looks like she's on auto pilot, barely registering what she's doing. Dani pulls out her phone slowly, pushes a few buttons and hands the phone over to me. Confused as fuck I take it, before looking down and feel my blood run cold. My head snaps up fast to our board, before my eyes flick back down again. 

Oh fuck me, how the fuck does she have this? How the fuck does she know him?

I silently hand the phone with a picture of Dani smiling, mid laugh, with the guy who looks just like the guy on our board to Everett. The pictures taken at the airport, and he's wearing exactly the same clothes, down to every detail. Of course he came in same day as I picked Dani up. Fuck.

Everett looks at the screen, his head snapping back to Dani, and I can see his chest rising and falling rapidly.

"Dani, who the hell is this?"

Cursing under his breath, his mouth becomes a hard line, as he closes his eyes, taking a minute. His voice is gentler as he tries again.

"Jellybean, you need to tell me everything."

"That's Jax."

Dani voice is barely above a whisper, as she looks on the verge of tears.

"Jackson McKinney. The guy who helped me on the flight with the creepy guy. The...... the knight in shining armor."

Her eyes are filled with tears, and Everett doesn't even react while I slide my arm around her shoulders, pull her against my side, just holding her there. He stares at nothing in particular for a moment, until his eyes snap back into focus, his head swinging to look at Dani.

"Hang on, this is the same guy you went on a date with last week?"

Dani leans her face in to my chest, and I can feel her whole body shake as she silently sobs. Fuck I want to rip this guy apart.

"Fuck!"

Everett grabs the back of his neck with both hands and starts to pace. My grip on her tightens as her breathing slows down and the sobs fade.

"Oh my god, she's the girl."

Everett stops pacing as Ava pipes up across the room, I forgot she was even still here.

"The one Jimmy has been talking about. The boss has been crazy about a girl, calling her everyday. He.......he has a date with her tonight........That's you isn't it?"

Dani's eyes fill up with tears again and my arm tightens around her, hugging her closer.

"Yes.......that's me."

She turns and whispers the last part quieter into my chest and I'd be surprised if anyone but me heard it.

"And it's not a date."

Dani leans in to me even more, like I'm going to make everything ok and protect her, and I wish like hell I could. Everett whips around on Dani, like he's only just registered what's been said.