Chapter 17 - Dani

I stand and stare at the cupboard where I've put all my clothes. I know the exact dress I need but can't for the life of me see it.

How in the world did I end up here?

I groan as I move a couple of hangers trying to find the dress. Damn it, I know you're in here.

Griffin and Everett are waiting down stairs and I know they're both pissed at me, but what the hell was I suppose to do? Griffin's been telling me tiny bits and letting things slip about the case when we have lunch, and I haven't even seen Everett in days because he's been at the station as soon as he's up. And that's if he's even sleeping. I know it's stressing both of them out, and although neither of them will ever admit it, frankly I'm the best shot they have. How could I not help? I care about both of them so much.

That thought makes me stop for a moment before I continue flicking through hangers, shaking my head. A small part of me hopes that this is all a misunderstanding, but there was no denying that picture. It was straight up Jax. Fudging hell.

How's your break Dani? Oh yeah it's going great, I've been hanging around a drug dealer who's insanely attractive and apparently very dangerous, has possibly killed people. You know just the usual vacation break stuff.

I groan again and stare at the ceiling. I should have known. Something didn't feel right when he talked about his job, not to mention that lunch date where his phone was going off constantly, face down on the table the whole time, that was just plain weird. I'm nervous as hell and feeling so many emotions but shove on my brave face. Even if Jax is as dangerous as they say, I know he would never hurt me. I also need to know for sure that Jax actually is this man, even if the other part of me already has that answer.
I spy the dress I'm looking for and pull it out. Bingo.

Oh yes this is going to work very well.

My job tonight is to pretty much act normal and be distracting, and this dress is perfect for that. It's a gorgeous blue and made out of the silkiest material that is so soft to touch. It has think straps in the front that lead to a deep V neckline that finishes where my abs should be, and the back, well that's pretty much nonexistent. The material curves and cuts away until just above my butt where it shapes firmly around and finishes a respectable distance under my butt that pleases everyone. I pull out my favourite black heels next that strap around my ankle in thin lines delicately, and a black clutch with a small silver chain. Perfect, I smile.

After I finish getting dressed, and taping my boobs in, I throw on some make up and pin my hair up in a wavy ponytail, a few smaller strands escaping here and there, mostly a happy accident as it never all stays up anyway. I turn in the mirror in the bedroom and smile. The dress fits my body like a glove, hugging the curves of my hips and stretching nicely over my stomach. My hair up like this also gives a great view from behind at the lack of dress. I take in a deep breath to try to steady the nerves before heading down stairs to the guys waiting.

I think I give Griffin a small heart attack when I reach the bottom of the stairs and cough a little to get their attention. They have their backs to me, talking between themselves, and as Griffin turns I can see him stiffen, his eyes going wider than I have ever seen them when they land on me. His mouth opens a little, just hanging there, and my inner self does a little happy dance. I wish I could have worn this dress just for him.

Everett, however, let's out a loud groan but I can tell from the half scowl it's just brotherly attitude about my choice in clothes. His phone rings and he walks into kitchen, waving his hand at us, without a word to answer. My foot shuffles along the ground as I'm left with Griffin still staring, open mouthed, at me.

"Do I..... do I look ok?"

I'm trying to break the silence, as Griffin moves closer, still without a word, his eyes never leaving me. He stops an inch before he's touching me and let's out a long slow breath, like he's been holding it for a while.

"You look incredible."

I can feel the heat rise up and go across my skin, I love the husky tone his voice has taken on.  Holy crap, how I freaking love how he said that. Griffin reaches his hand up, his fingers grazing the side of my cheek.

"You're so beautiful."

His hand travels to the back of my neck and tugs gently on a strand that's escaped my ponytail.

"These little bits drive me nuts for some reason."

Griffin smiles as he plays with a few strands, my breathing picks up and I feel like electricity is pleasantly shooting down my spine.

"And although that dress is scrambling my thoughts and leaving me speechless..."

He pauses and looks down my body slowly, taking in every square inch of me, before his eyes find mine again.

"It's you that leaves me breathless."

My knees feel weak, and I know that has nothing to do with the size of my heels. His hand travels slowly back to my cheek, then along my neck, and I try to remain calm, as it travels lightly across the curves of my chest following the line of my dress. His touch is feather light and drives my body insane, all I want is for him to keep going.

"I don't want you to do this tonight."

I close my eyes for a second to try and get my brain to think straight, every part of me wants him right now. Griffin leans his head against mine, as his hand runs down from my chest, around my hip and pulls me towards him, closing the small distance between us. My hands come round to grip the sides of his shirt holding him there.

"I know, and I wish I didn't have to but you know I do." I lean my body into him, I don't want this moment to end.

"Doesn't mean I have to like it."

Griffin leans down suddenly, his lips touching mine gently as he kisses me. It's short, soft and tender, but it has so much emotion in it. Pulling away to soon, he lets go of me and steps away. His whole body looks so tense, my eyes linger, noticing his jaw lock up and get tight.

"I know he is going to touch you tonight..." and I can see him fight this anger as he speaks. "He kisses you tonight and I will kill him."

I can't help a small grin at that, and am about to step towards him tp slide back in his arms, as Everett walks back into the room, pausing to look at the two of us for a moment.

"You ready Jellybean?"

He's eyeing Griffin hard, and somehow looks like he's even mire pissed off than before.

"As I'm ever going to be Evie."

Griffin lets out an uncontrollable laugh at that, and Everett smacks him hard on the arm. The three of us leave the house a little lighter and laughing, somewhat ready to do this.