11 - Cage

Louis sees how much his body has changed when he wants to wear a shirt that when he was twenty it fit him perfectly and now it just doesn't. He lost weight, maybe gain a bit more muscle, he doesn't have that small belly he used to (even though he drinks now and when he had it, he didn't), his collar bones are a bit more salient, his arms look stronger but in general he looks a bit tinier. Louis doesn't hate himself, he likes what he sees in the mirror, he isn't unhealthy, he is fine but he can't stop but think how he changed. His face, he has a beard now, his hair... Even his eyes. He wears a pair of dark jeans with a sweater, his jacket and a beanie and when he looks at himself, he doesn't see Louis Tomlinson from Doncaster. Maybe London changed him – he just got older.

He sighs with his usual strange thoughts, shuts the window from his room, unwraps a menthol gum to chew and puts a bit of perfume. Even his smell changed. And he still has the guts to say that Harry isn't Harry anymore, he can't even imagine what the green eyed guy thought at first when he saw him.

"Zayn, are you ready?" Louis asks knocking at Zayn's room door. He takes a step back when the dark haired guy opens the door, revealing himself wearing his best outfit, his pair of doc martens, his jeans and his leather jacket. Simple, but very Zayn-ie. His hair isn't in a quiff this time, making Louis realise that is getting long pretty quick.

"I am but can you try to call Liam again, please?" He asks and sounds tired, as if that whole subject is making him a bit down.

"Did you try it already?" Louis asks raising his eyebrow.

"Yes, just before dinner. It didn't go to voicemail, he saw it and declined the call." Zayn sighs.

"I'm gonna try it." Louis had given up on it the other day because it wasn't working, it always went to voicemail and if Liam doesn't want their company, fine. If it happened something and he wants to be alone, Louis respects it. But it's been weeks now and Louis recognises how annoyed by it Zayn is getting.

He finds Liam's number in his contacts and dials it. Louis sees Zayn offering him a small smile before disappearing into the bathroom. It rings four times before Liam finally picking up.

"Oh, did you hit the wrong button or did you just forgot that you were supposed to ignore me?" Louis spits right away when hears Liam breathing from the other side. He walks towards the living room and kitchen's door, not focused on those actions at the moment.

There's silence and Louis is about to protest again when Liam speaks. "Hi, Louis." Louis almost forgot his calm tone of voice really.

"Hello dear Liam, how have you been these past weeks, since, I don't know we haven't talked?! Weird, hum?" Silence. "I'm really curious about what you have to say so I'll repeat myself." He clears his throat. "How have you been?"

"I'm good."

"Just good? Don't you have anything else to say?"

"How have you been, Louis?" His voice is kind of weak, or maybe just a bit shaking.

"I'm good."

"Just good?" Louis can tell he is teasing but Louis won't allow it yet.

So he sighs loudly. "Listen Liam, what the fuck happened to you?" Silence again. But just for some seconds.

"I'm sorry. I can't tell you."

"You can't tell me?" He remarks, harshly, but then takes his fingers through his hair and sighs again, in frustration. "Fair enough. But are you mad at us?"

"Not mad. Maybe something else." He admits.

"Well it's killing me, Liam. And Zayn too, he is tired of this. You are avoiding us and we can't manage to think about what we did wrong, mate."