O5 - What We Talkin' Bout

When the both of them returned to the loading station, Jaehyun explained the situation to the conductor who happily complied to their surprise.

They were allowed to take the last cabin among the total of pairs needed to fill them all up.

That of course earned them a few scowls from the couple who would have been next. But neither of them paid any attention as they were equally preoccupied with their own emotions; Taeyong being excited and Jaehyun who was annoyed.

Jaehyun entered the cabin first and immediately sat to the right as taeyong trailed behind him to sit on the opposite side. They sat facing each other but avoided looking the others direction.

The cabin started to ascend at a steady pace and they gazed out of the glass window to see the crowds of people at the festival appear below them.

They became restless and adjusted their position on the bench and they both felt self conscious of their own breathing.

The silence quickly became unbearable and the presence of each other cumbersome.

Taeyong was the first to crack, "Thanks... for coming along with me." He said quietly but didn't look towards the other boy.

"Hmm? Oh, no prob." Jaehyun hummed and replied coolly as he turned his head facing the smaller boy who was staring outside the glass.

The buildings shrunk in size. Taeyong was amazed and stood up at the glass to look down at the ant sized structures. Not a single soul was visible in sight.

He pulled out his phone and snapped some photos at each angle as well as selfies with the backdrop.

Jaehyun gazed at the other for a moment and thought that his features were well defined. He also thought the boys reaction was adorable. As he realized, he quickly brought his thoughts to an end.

Why'd I just think that? Oh well, forget it.

The cabin neared the top when it drew to an abrupt halt which caused the cabin to swing in pendulous movements. Taeyong instantly lost his balance and fell backwards.

Luckily he was caught by Jaehyun who held his back and arm to support him before he could hit the floor.

"You okay?" Jaehyun asked as he helped taeyong regain his posture.

Taeyong cleared his throat before he replied. "Uh, yes thank you" He decided it was best to sit down.

How embarrassing.

There was silence again and both boys felt completely awkward. Couples must have enjoyed this type of atmosphere but for these two it made them feel so uncomfortable.

What do we do now?

Taeyong fidgeted with his fingers and bit his bottom lip.

Jaehyun grabbed his attention "Uh, they usually pause the ride for like 5 minutes to enjoy the view." He said as if answering an unasked question.

"Ah, I see..." Taeyong nodded looking as if he finally figured something out.

They were literally stuck in place with nowhere for them to escape. It was just them and their awkwardness all together in a cramped space. If they had been claustrophobic they would have had an attack by now. Someone needed to say something to break the ice.

This is so awkward. They both thought.

"So, you're not from here are you?" The taller boy suddenly questioned as he stared at the other. He was trying to lighten the mood.

"How'd you know?" Taeyong looked at him wide eyed.

"Well I don't think I've ever seen you around and you also said it's your first festival" said the taller boy.

"Ah, right! I just moved here today from Gyeongju." Taeyong responded.

"Oh, well in that case, welcome to Seoul or at least a part of it." Jaehyun chuckled which made Taeyong join in as well.

Wow, even his laugh is attractive.

They continued to chat about various topics. They shared their ages and Taeyong was shocked that he was older than the boy.

They expressed their equal admiration for photography and music. And mentioned some songs on their phones to share their tastes in music. Jaehyun also suggested some places that Taeyong should check out when he gets the chance.

Five minutes initially felt a ways away but suddenly seemed to be not long enough. The both of them were no longer uneasy in each others company.

Taeyong felt that if he could meet some people like this boy at his new school then that would be great.

The move was proving to not be such a bad idea after all. Maybe this place would be his fresh start and saving grace.

The cabin was back in operation and descended back towards the loading station for them to exit.

They quietly waited for it to settle and for the door to open to let them out.

The door finally chimed and parted and they smiled at each other while they stood up to depart the cabin. Taeyong went out first and Jaehyun followed behind him.

Taeyong stood next to Jaehyun and turned to him, "It was fun. Thanks again. See you later, maybe?"

Before Jaehyun could reply his arm was taken and he was turned to face his girlfriend who was sulking.

Oh dear God.

--------

Well that's Ch. 5.
I'll try to update the
chapters regularly.