Chapter five:

--Day two--

There, Carly thought in relief as she slipped on the last hair slide.  It had taken fifteen minutes more to put the wig on than she would have anticipated, but at least it was on and secure, it’s a good thing I woke up earlier than normal.

She glimpsed at the clock on her desk which read 6:53am in neon green numbers.  Carly heaved a sigh as she pulled herself away from her desk and into her closet, pulling out the clothes she was supposed to wear today.  Callum, Liam and Jasper had gone slightly overboard when they were buying her clothes for the bet.  They had bought her different items of clothing, including accessories, for each day.  When she had seen the three big shopping bags containing nothing but clothing she had blanched. 

She held the clothes in her hands examining them as the sound of footsteps were heard leaving the bathroom. 

Wait...footsteps?  Alarmed Carly looked up just as her door swung open to reveal her Father’s smiling face.  Now normally John would be at work at this time, his work demanded a lot of time so it was rare for Carly to see him at this time.    

John Penton froze in the doorway as he stared at his only child wearing a wig and holding boy’s clothing.  Oh shit, is this the phase that teenagers go through?  Carly hasn’t had a phase until now.  Does that mean it’s going to be worst because she kept it down?  John thought in a panic as he watched his daughter’s eyes widen.  Shit! What did Lisa tell me to do if a situation like this ever occurred?  Accept it?  Yes, accept it.  With his deceased wife’s words channelling through his brain he moved forward and embraced Carly.

What the Hell is he doing?  Carly thought bemused as she awkwardly patted her Dad’s back. 

What the Hell am I doing?  John thought at the same time as he gave her a squeeze and then released her.  

He placed his arms on her shoulders and stared into her eyes, “Understand, no matter what you decide about yourself I will always accept it okay?  Even if you decide to become a boy and like girls, I will always be here,” John said firmly.

“Ah, ok?”  Carly said slowly, not really sure what had spurred her Father to act this way.

John patted her shoulder before exiting the room, nodding to himself in a proud manner that he had reassured his daughter.  However, Carly stood rooted to the floor as confusion on what just happened surged through her body. 

Pushing the weird event from her mind Carly distracted herself by donning the clothes she had to wear.  Dark, grey, skinny jeans with slashes at the knees were tucked into black combat boots.  She wore a long simple black button up shirt that stopped above her knees and were rolled at the sleeves.  A grey beanie was the only accessory she wore, pushed back so that her fringe could be seen.  She picked up her school bag and left making sure that she still had her phone and school items inside of the bag.  With a quick breakfast which consisted of cereal and milk Carly was about ready to leave.

“Oh honey?”  John called.

Carly stopped mid step from leaving the kitchen, she raised an eyebrow questioningly at him silently telling him to continue, “Um, do you remember Sally?”

Carly leaned against the wall, a smirk pushing against her cheeks, “You mean the girl your infatuated with?”

John blushed slightly causing Carly’s smirk to grow, “Yes,” He muttered before clearing his throat, “Well she’s coming over to dinner tomorrow, just warning you.”