Chapter Seventeen:

--Day Twenty--

Ding dong.  Carly craned her neck to see into the hallway, but even from her uncomfortable stretch on the couch she was unable to see the front door.  She was holding onto the remote outstretched in front of her, pausing her show on Benedict Cumberbatch’s face.  She looked back at the screen of the T.V. longingly before giving an exasperated sigh when she heard the door bell sound again.  She staggered to her feet and stumbled towards the door in her pyjamas.  It was a Saturday and she had been pondering the thought of actually changing and doing something, however, that all went to shit as soon as she turned on the T.V. and her Netflix account opened automatically.  It was now 5:00pm and she was currently engrossed in the third season of the Sherlock Holmes series.  

“I’m coming I’m coming!”  Carly shouted as she padded towards the door.  She made sure to look through the peep hole before even thinking about opening it as a safety precaution.  She frowned and unlocked the door swinging it open to reveal Sally with an apologetic look on her face. 

“Hey Carly I’m so sorry for this but John said it was alright for me to stay in your house for a while until he comes and picks me up for our date,”  Sally explained but at the end of her sentence she held her hands up in surrender, “But if you don’t want me to then I totally understand.”

Carly merely opened the door wider, “Get in, there’s no way I am passing the opportunity of having you to myself.”

Sally chuckled and walked in, shedding her jacket and hanging it on the coat hooks.  She stood awkwardly in the hallway for a second, ringing her hands in a nervous fashion.

“Okay first order of business,” Carly announced, pointing a finger into the air, “You need to change from those clothes.”

Sally snapped her head up in alarm; “Wait what?”  She exclaimed, regarding Carly like she was deranged, “But I’m going to get picked up soon from your Dad.”

“Did he say that he was getting held up at work?”  Carly asked.

“Well, yes,” Sally blinked, “But I don’t see how that re-”

“First thing you should know about my Dad,” Carly cut her off easily, “Whenever he says he’s going to get held up at work it means that he’s going to be staying there till at least 10:00pm.”

Sally frowned slightly at the words, “So he’s not going to actually make it to the date?”

“Nope.  But it doesn’t mean that he doesn’t want to.  In fact, he’s probably furiously trying to get all his work done faster just so that he can get home to you.  If he kept a steady pace then he would be here by around midnight but because he’s probably rushing his work he’ll be able to get it done two hours earlier than he was supposed to.”  Carly explained all of this as she walked up the stairs and into her room; Sally unconsciously following her with rapt attention.

It was only when a loose black shirt and some joggers were thrown at Sally did she realize where she was standing.  She looked around at the small room wallpapered a dark purple with a white vanity table, bed and mirror.  She smiled slightly at the collection of pictures that were tact to the wall where her bed resided in the middle of the room.

“Get changed and then meet me in the living room,” Carly commanded, waving a finger in her face.

Five minutes later and Sally had carefully folded her clothes on top of Carly’s bed and trudged slowly down the steps, pulling the black sleeves of her shirt down in an anxious behaviour.  “In here Sally!”  Carly called from the kitchen making Sally jump.