Chapter Fourteen:

--Day Fourteen--

“Ask him,” A female girl whispered.

“No you ask him,” Her friend retaliated.

Carly pressed her lips together into a thin line, her sweaty forehead leaning on the cool locker doors in front of her.  She had been enduring the hissing battle behind her for the last five minutes.  What the group of girls were pushing each other into asking, Carly was unsure of.  Yet, she did know that they were talking about her because she could practically feel their stares boring into her back. 

“I’m not going to ask him,” Another girl hissed.

“Well neither am I,” A high pitched voice squeaked. 

Carly pushed off of the lockers, turned, and made her way towards the group of girls.  Upon seeing Carl walking purposefully towards them, they immediately hushed each other and placed shy smiles on their faces. 

Carly stood in front of them with a polite smile, one hand tucked into her black skinny ripped jeans and the other holding onto the brown leather strap of her bag, “Um, I couldn’t help but over hear you guys and I thought I’d approach you instead,” She started, hoisting her bag higher onto her shoulder, “So what’s on your minds?”

The girl’s blushed slightly at getting caught out, all of them avoiding eye contact with the popular soccer player.  Carly couldn’t help the small smile of amusement on how they were shy because of her, “Come on now,” She coaxed, “I don’t bite, I promise.”

Nervous chuckles were their reply until the bravest of the group stepped forward, “Well...um – look we’re not trying to be rude here but there have been rumours on this and we just wanted to know if it was real or not.  We wanted to know if...if...”  Here she stopped and stared down at her shoes almost guiltily.

“Yes?”  Carly asked, leaning forward slightly.

“Are you gay?”  A girl, safely tucked in the back, squeaked. 

Carly took a step back in alarm at the unexpected choice of question, “It’s just that everyone has been saying that you’re gay but no one really knows if it’s true or not.  So we just wanted to see if it was true...”  The first girl tried to amend the others’ burst of words. 

Carly opened her mouth to refuse the notion that she was gay, until a thought came to her, Wait...if I told them I was gay then everyone wouldn’t wonder why I stared at guys instead of girls.  Or why I did a lot of girly things that would pin point me out as a girl.  This would save me a whole load of explaining in the days to come. 

“You know you don’t have to tell us if you don’t want to,” One girl reassured, “It’s actually kind of rude to ask something so personal.”

Carly held up her hands and waved them around, “No, no, no, its fine,” Carly chuckled, “I actually am gay; I just didn’t think anyone would figure it out so soon is all.”

The girls remained silent for all of two seconds, before they deflated into a squealing mess.  Carly could only watch as the girls held onto each other and jumped up and down.  They were only brought out of their fan girl state when Jasper came to stand beside Carly.  He leaned his elbow on her shoulder and stared blankly at the girls in front of him, “What are you up to Carl?”  He asked.

“Is this your boyfriend?”  The squeaking girl asked.

Jasper raised an eyebrow and turned a questioning glance towards Carly, who rubbed the back of her head sheepishly, “I told them I was gay,” She supplied.