Chapter Twelve:

--Day seven--

What was I doing?  Carly thought as she attempted to fix the overly flowered headband of a cheerleader who had excitedly introduced herself as Georgina.  While doing a back flip it had careened off the cheerleader’s head and almost smacked Carly in the face.  Luckily, Liam had pulled her out of the way in time with an almost girlish squeak.  After the girl had apologized profusely she had stared at her – now broken – headband dejectedly.  Feeling bad for the girl Carly had reluctantly offered to fix it for her, which the cheerleader had eagerly accepted.

Carly attached the chain that had come off from it securely and gave an experimental tug on the elastic band of the accessory.  I need to see if it stays put... she thought.  Liam, who was standing the closest to Carly while the other cheerleaders stood back to admire Carl’s gentleman manners, was the one that Carly decided to see if it fit properly.

Carly nodded in approval while Liam blushed profusely and ducked his head.  The cheerleaders, who were watching the exchange, couldn’t help the blushes that marred their own cheeks as they saw how cute Liam looked. 

Carly retrieved the headband and gave it to the cheerleader it belonged to, “Here you go,” She said.

The girl - still dazed at how Liam looked better wearing the accessory than she did – took the headband, “Thanks,” She muttered, staring at Liam, her friend Marie was in the same state.

Liam’s blush darkened as he noticed the girls staring at him, grabbing Carly’s arm he quickly marched her to another part of the football field in a bid for escape from the girls.  He was muttering under his breath, Carly could only make out the words ‘girls’ and ‘vultures’.

“What’s up?”  Callum asked when he saw Liam pulling Carly away at a fast pace. 

Carly shrugged while Liam sat next to Jasper on the grass, not bothering to answer.  Callum dropped the issue and instead opted to sit beside Liam, ruffling his hair in an affectionate manner.  Liam whined and patted his hair down, only for Jasper to reach over and run his hands through it too.  Carly watched as the three of them entered a mini battle, Jasper and Callum trying to ruffle Liam’s hair while Liam tried to fend them off.  In the end she decided to join Callum and Jasper in their mission, ignoring Liam’s cries of “traitor!”

Carly laughed when they finally released Liam, Jasper chuckling as they took in Liam’s messy hair.  Liam grumbled as he fixed it, shuffling slightly away from them in apprehension.  Carly sat in a crouched position balancing her weight on the balls of her feet, watching her team players conversing with friends or with each other.  It was after school and they had been doing football practise for the upcoming game on Friday.  It would be the last game they would have to play before the big match. 

Carly couldn’t help but drool at Elliot’s legs when her eyes happened to come into contact with them.  He was currently talking to the Coach and Carly readily took advantage of this small distraction to stare at him.  That was until Liam - seeing where she was staring - gave her a good slap on the back of her head.

Carly raised her hands in surrender, “I know, I know,” She reassured, walking away from Liam’s smirking face and instead towards a frowning Callum.

Carly raised an eyebrow at his angry features, following his gaze towards the cheerleaders.  Gordan Matthews, a reserve on the soccer team, was messing around with one of the cheerleaders.  In fact it was Georgina – the one with the over flowered headband.  Carly’s hands clenched when she saw the uncomfortable smile on Georgina’s face.  She was trying to be polite, telling Gordon to leave her alone but Gordon kept the same playful grin on his face, pulling her skirt every now and then.  Marie, trying to help her friend, pulled at his arms only to be pushed back rather roughly.  Carly’s eyes widened in clear anger, her finger nails biting into her palms as she clenched her hands tighter.