Chapter Three

Kiara's POV

"Kiaraaaaaa....." Akira yelled as I arrived home after a long day at the bakery.

"Yes, what's wrong? You sound like you're dying." I said, watching my sister walk out of the kitchen with a red velvet cupcake.

"What? you meanie, I just missed you!"

"I wish I could believe you baby." I ruffled her hair, she hates it.

"Anyway, dad wants us to be ready by 7, it's uncle Eric's birthday party tonight." She reminded me.

"Oh, I forgot about it Akira.. I'm in no mood for a party right now"

"I'm not going alone Kiki, hurry up lets get dressed!" Akira dragged me upstairs to my room.

Uncle Eric was one of dad's best friends, he's had a bunch of friends with him since his school days, so this party is very special for my dad. Going through my closet for a good thirty minutes, I finally settled for a simple white lace dress. I let my hair down and wore my heels.

Dad picked us up and we were on our way to the party.

"Dad please stop looking at Kiara like you're going to be walking her down the aisle already." Akira rolled her eyes. Making me giggle.

"Haha Akira, it's just that your sister is the replica of your mother. She's left you with us, as a reminder that she's always with me Kiara." Dad said feeling really emotional, I reached for his hand and kissed it. I was lost for words.

"Wow guys, thanks for letting me know that I was adopted." Akira bowed her head.

"You little brat, you're me. The tough cookie, my crazy, silly...." Dad was cut off by Akira.

"Yeah yeah, I get it." Akira replied.

It was true, you could never tell Akira and I were siblings. She was loud and outspoken, I was a little shy since we were kids. I looked a lot like my mother and she was dad in every way. It was long drive until we reached uncle Eric's mansion. Once we stepped out of the car, I held dad's hand and walked in when Akira noticed one of her friends and slipped away with her. I really thought she was going to give me company but no! Maybe just text Maisie when I'm bored, I thought. As we walked in we were greeted by a man who looked very similar to uncle Eric and a lady with a warm smile who seemed like his wife.

"Warren, how are you doing my friend?" The man asked pulling dad in a tight embrace.

"Nolan, it's been awhile.. seems like your businesses are keeping you tied up?... Ah Stella dear, how are you? Is this old guy treating you well?" Dad spoke to the couple while I stood beside him.

"Oh well, Mr.Lancelan here is hardly out of his study Warren. Even after Ethan has taken over the business. He's still very restless." His wife complained as she received a little chuckle from her husband. They looked very cute together making me smile.

"Is this your daughter?" Mr. Lancelan questioned.

"Yes, Kiara my eldest, and my little one ran off to see her friend I guess."

"Hello love, I'm Nolan Lancelan. Your dad's best friend. I have to say you remind me of Brynlee so much."

"Nice to meet you Mr.Lancelan" I smiled.

"I know, she's just like Brynlee." Mrs. Lancelan smiled and held my hand, walking into the party. She seemed like a nice lady.

As we entered the party, dad and I met uncle Eric and his wife after exchanging a few words, we sat down with Mr. and Mrs. Lancelan. The three of them had so much to talk about, they clearly couldn't stop the chitter chatter. It was beginning to become a very boring party, I was texting Maisie about the most random things I could think of. Oh Akira, where the hell are you woman??!!

It's been an hour or so and Akira hasn't showed up yet, Mrs. Lancelan on the other hand was keeping me company, she has been telling me stories about how she fell in love with her husband and the crazy things dad and Mr. Lancelan did when they were younger. Just then...

"Hey mum!" a strong and appealing voice rang behind me, causing us to look towards its direction. There stood a tall and handsome man with a slight smile towards Mrs. Lancelan. She gave him a whole hearted smile as he came walking to us. I was in quite awe of how a human could be this perfect, even a strand of his hair wasn't out of place. He glanced at me, and the next second I just turned around to the table, avoiding eye contact.

"Ethan, what took you so long? Eric has been looking for you." Mrs. Lancelan complained.

"I met him mum, I'm seated across the hall with the guys." Ethan spoke again. Gosh that voice, my stupid brain needs a distraction. I began texting Maisie again telling her how bored I was and more over to ignore that gorgeous human beside me.

"Warren, this is my son Ethan." Mr. Lancelan introduced him to dad.

"It's a pleasure meeting you." Ethan said shaking hands with dad. Then he glanced towards me for a couple of seconds.

"And this is Kiara, Warren's daughter." His mum told him.

"Kiara..." he mumbled nodding his head with a smirk.

"Hi!" Yes, that's all I could say, giving him a small smile. Why am I trying so hard to avoid this human??

After a few minutes of having a conversation with his parents and my dad, Ethan left to join his friends. I decided it was time to go look for Akira, so I excused myself politely and went looking for my sister. Walking through the hall, I saw Akira with two of her college mates at a table so, I went towards her. She gave me a cheerful laugh and introduced them to me. Once Akira was done talking to her friends, we made our way back to where dad was. On my way back I felt someone's eyes on me, which made me look towards a very noisy table of guys. There were about four to five guys on it, joking around very loudly and in the midst I saw Ethan looking my way. He held my eyes for second when the whole table went quiet, it felt so awkward. One of the guys cleared his throat making Ethan turn towards him, breaking eye contact. Meanwhile I quickly managed to pull Akira and walk away.