WEEK-LONG SILENCE

~You messed up when
you started developing
feelings for a distraction.
-Author Unknown

It's been a week since I last talked to him after my small freak show. It got weird when we ate dinner that night. When I did see him, he was continuously in his work clothing and heading out the door for work. We had dinner the first three evenings, but not any longer. He appeared active or likely separate. It seems he doesn't truly say that much to me, but I do appreciate it when we have our small little talks, in spite of the fact that it's not much, but it keeps me from going crazy in this house.

I was sitting on the floor with my feet crossed, whereas Tina was lying on the bed watching the television. As I observed, the grin grew on her face. Her attention was also centered on taking note of my look at her, which was totally unpleasant. Not long ago, I heard a smashing sound from the first floor, causing my eyes to move towards the door. Tina sat up right away from the noise. "You should go see what's happening." I looked at her in doubt, shaking my head, in spite of knowing that no one might ever get past the gates to the house. I got up to check.

The crash came once more when I opened the door and looked down the corridor. It was all but purge, so I made my way to the stairs where I stood and watched the scene which took place before me. A lady was breaking things. Vincent observed her. He didn't move a muscle, but I seemed to tell he was irate when the muscles in his back strained and the unclenching of his clenched hand.

"Where is she incent?" She all but hollered at him, looking insane. By observing her at the top of the staircase, he looked angry. I have never seen him so angry. Anything she had done appeared to piss him off.

"Scarlett!, Leave my house right now!" He said through clenched teeth. He spat in outrage. One eyebrow rose in a challenge, and her jaw clenched, shooting knives at him with her eyes.

"You can't do this, Vincent!" She argued, taking his hands, but he rapidly pulled away. My heart was considering each bit to see what would happen between the two and what Vincent did to her. By now, I was halfway down the stairs. "You set out to step into my house with your slimy self. I want you out now, imbecile!" he spat with a viciousness that stunned her eyes. She shouted like a madwoman. Her voice boomed through the house, making me jump in surprise. A sound escaped my lips, causing all eyes to be on me.

She looked my way, her eyes developing a darker shade of blue. Vincent observed her distinctly. At that point, his gaze fell upon mine. It was serious and demonstrated all over my face. She watched as his eyes met mine, not leaving it for a single moment. She became angry, and before long, I felt a stinging sensation over my cheek in the direction in which my head turned. I was not as shocked as when I was slapped across the face.

In minutes, I was behind a wide back. I was still handling what happened. I was aware that I was slapped across the face. A tear fell from my eye in spite of my constatnt begging to not cry. I looked outside the window that led to the garden. The blossoms blew in the wind. I gazed and more tears spilled out of my eyes.

"Get out!" he shouted when she screamed like the maniac she is and stormed out of the room.

I hadn't had much time to think about what was happening in front of me when a cold hand came in contact with my cheeks. I backed away, shaking my head while my eyes were filled with tears. "Don't ever put your hands on me." I walked up the stairs and away from the room in which Tina was in. Staring out the window with teary eyes, I begged the Lord to just let me die, but this wish of mine would never be granted. I had a purpose, but what was it?

I was on the second floor, making my way towards Vincent's room. To begin with, my art.

Suits, jackets, ties, and pants were all laid in front of me as I cut their arms and legs into shreds, pouring water in his shoe socks been ripped.

"So many expensive clothes and nothing to do with them." I sighed, taking the match, watching everything burn.

"Bam!!" the smashing of the television in his room. "Rip!!" was the sound of his favorite furniture being ripped apart. "Clink" small pieces of glass being shattered onto the floor with exciting music to my ears. "Smash, smash!!" I laughed evilly watching everything destroyed into bits.

I lay back with the baseball bat in my hands on the ruined furniture, looking at my masterpiece. If he could pay millions for stupid art, then he could set me free after looking at what I've created. No cost at all. I'll give him it for free after all.

Staring up at the ceiling, I waited and waited for the door to fly open, then boom, his expression would change into a shock, but I guess I was wrong.

The door flung open, revealing Vincent. He just cocked his brow and looked at me. "Goodnight Laura" was his response. He didn't say anything but goodnight. This fucking asshole.

The other few days, the same thing happened all over again. He replaced everything I had broken, except the old ugly paintings. He refurbished the place every time I ruined it. I stopped doing all these things once Tina talked to me and the grudge of him making a girl slap me across the face was long gone. All I wanted was an apology.

I lay quietly in the tub, my mind wondering how far it could carry me, magical places for me to forget my bad old memories. I was calm and well relaxed, taking in the lavender smell of the bathroom when there was a crash and the sound of Vincent cursing profanities. My eyes were wide open, getting out of the tub, quickly reaching for a towel on the rack and draping it around my body.

I got dressed and walked out of the room. There was chattering, but it was clear enough to know that they weren't speaking in silence. It wasn't on the third floor that I was on, but on the second floor.

The loud voices of the two-person chattering could be heard. I was on the second floor, and could hear it too. Tip toeing foot after foot after foot climbing the stairs with a beating heart, I heard another man's voice.

"You have to do something about this situation now!" The shattering pieces of glass had me take a step back.

"After all these years, what was the need?" concern could be heard in his voice, but concern about what and whom?

"If you fail to do this, and losing her is not an option, if you don't do something quickly, you might lose her again." Failed to do what? Who is he losing again? I was so curious about who or what case they were addressing as I drew closer to the door to hear more of their conversation.

"I failed years ago when I let-" The door creaked and I seemed scarcely to move from my spot when I heard footsteps ascending towards the door. "I think I'm going to head out." I covered up in the dark, watching as the man walked out the door. He looked back and I held my breath and attempted to be unnoticed when he shook his head and disappeared down the stairs. I went to the first floor to the dining room and sat impatiently, my attempt to act ordinary, in spite of the fact that I was sweating on the inside and the room got so thick I could barely breathe.

Is he planning to come down after what took place between him and that man? What were they discussing? He seemed so mad. What made him mad? Was it what I did earlier? It's impossible. He didn't seem mad the other day. I tugged at my hair and groaned.

He did come down and we sat there staring at each other when he broke the silence between us. '"You okay? You seem disturbed?" he asked and I smiled, using my shirt as a fan. "Nothing just a little hot. Aren't you hot? It's pretty hot in here," I said, hoping that he wouldn't see through my nervousness. I gulped down the water in one go, staring at him while he gave me a confused look before clearing his throat.

"Now that we have that out of the way, I'll let you go under one condition." My heart was beating franticly and my mind kept running wild with questions. What gave him the thought to let me go now and why?