CHAPTER 36

~Even when you'd lost everything you
thought there was to lose, somebody
came along and gave you something for free.
-Jenny Valentine

I felt the pain, the taste of my own blood in my mouth. "Fuck!" I groaned. I sucked my lips between my teeth to stop the bleeding. She smirked at me while I still held her captive in my arms. "I should've done far worse than that." My grip had gotten tighter on her and I drew her close to me. She still didn't show any emotion, but I was willing to get one out of her.

"I know you missed me love." I moved a strand of hair out of her face, gently touching her cheeks at the moment she heaved a sigh, but I wanted more. My hands went slowly to the hem of her shirt, and I felt her shiver, but that wasn't what I wanted. I played with the waist of her jeans before slipping my hands inside her undergarment. I felt her. She was already wet. By just simply touching her, I knew she was fighting everything.

"Please stop!" She uses her next hand and slaps me. I chuckled watching her run towards the door pushing numbers on the keypad, but each time she tries it goes into denial. "If you were here earlier, you would've been out of my house, or would you? How keeping my kids away from me feels?" She snaps at me with anger overcasting her features.

"It feels great, but you don't look so good. You've lost weight and have you seen your face?" She chuckled and I had to.

I smirked. "Are you trying to tempt me to let you go, little one?"

"Excuse me? Did you just call me little one? She said through clenched teeth that her hand was now balled. "What are you doing? Like, four feet tall?" I ask pushing all her buttons. "I'm five-three bastard."

"Eight years, huh?" She sighs with a shake of her head. "It feels like it's been forever."

"Yeah," I agree thoughtfully, "It does."

"I'll tell you something that you haven't come to realize. Vincent," she said, her voice nearly a whisper now. "It never indeed happened to me that we wouldn't make it. I prayed that we would. And it never happened to you that we would. In fact, you were just holding up for us to go down in flames. I thought we could get through anything." Thinking something about me does not make it true. I gave her a piece of paper and words to let her leave, but that doesn't mean I didn't want what we shared. Those moments meant more to me than she could ever think of. I wanted to tell her, but she came back and caused all these feelings in me that could ruin everything.

"That's not true," I bellowed. "If you tell the truth about yourself, you can not justify it by saying it about others who you literally know nothing about."

"I know you well enough to know that you are a cruel, heartless piece of shit. Why did you ask for a fucking divorce? Even if the marriage was all a contract, we could've let that pass on. It wasn't real at all, so why did you ask for a divorce or maybe it was?" I stayed silent. I found it difficult to hear.

"It was? I knew this wasn't good to be true. You let me give in to a real marriage that I had no clue about. Very clever." She chuckled, flinging her head, but once her eyes met mine, I was completely disappointed in them. Something I had never seen before.

"You asked why I couldn't forgive you," Laura said, very quietly, and I tensed a little. "It was because you were the love of my life. I don't even know what you are anymore, Vincent. And you didn't want to be there. You pushed me away when we were getting along. That's hard to let go. I gave you everything that I had left of me, then you broke me."

"I needed one of us to be happy. And I chose you but." I simply said.

"I was happy-happy to be here with you. Pushing me away worsens me than how I was already. Do you have any idea how it has been for the last eight years? You don't because you weren't there with me-with your kids, but you deserved everything that you have put me through." She remembered all the bad things that I had done to her, but nothing good came across her mind, as if she had pushed them to the back of her head. My whispers went unnoticed every night. The words I said every night weren't heard.