LONELY NIGHTS

~You fall in love with
the most unexpected person,
at the most unexpected time.
-Author Unknown

It's been precisely ten days since I last spoke to Vincent, which was when he was leaving. I wouldn't say that I do not miss him, but I completely do and it's been exceptionally lonely these days. I was sprawled out on the sofa at Tina's watching a movie and stuffing my face with food. I've been feeling kind of odd these past few days. All I feel is blankness with him being gone for so long. I just needed to know if he was alright, but he didn't care if I was worried about him. He didn't even care to see if I was okay. I bit down on my lip and stayed silent with a sense that I had lost him. My eyes welled up with tears. I sniffled and felt the moistness on my cheeks. I was crying for that bastard.

I sobbed, bringing my hands to wipe the tears. "Oh my god Laura, what's wrong?" Dorothy sat on the right side of me while Tina came and placed a bowl of popcorn on the table, taking a seat to my left, hugging me from the side. I still felt the tears trickling down my face, but I couldn't stop myself from crying even more.

"What's up with your face?" Tina asked, turning me to face her while she stroked my cheeks. I couldn't exactly tell a lie. She'd see through it in a second. "It's Vincent, isn't it?" Dorothy asked, letting out a muffled sigh.

"I can't put this all to an end, thinking about him. I don't know what all this means." I could feel a searing pain through my heart while my breath comes out unevenly. It has gotten inside my head and I despise that it's messing me up like this. I longed to see him, to listen to his voice, for him to embrace me, and let me know he's here by my side. Anything from him right now could ease the pain that I'm feeling. The loneliness is tugging at my heart and I cried harder remembering our times together.

"It's fine Laura to feel this way." I pouted and faced Dorothy, who once again sighs and took my hands into hers. "What do you mean what's happening?" I asked, pulling my hands away. As I rose to my feet with a growing sense of doom, Dorothy and Tina gave each other looks and looked back at me smiling. "You've fallen in love Laura" My heart raced as I stared at them. Several moments paused and I stood unmoving. This must be a sick joke, but their smiling faces said it all.

I released a sudden sigh. I tried to open my mouth to speak. But no words flowed out. I gulped. "Have I really fallen in love with him?" Then, with a little more strength, I asked, looking down at my bare feet, but it came out in a shaky whisper, barely audible. I left my place to go sit back on the sofa when I felt my arms wrapped around my body.

"I told you she was going to fall in love with him by this month," Tina whispered behind me and I frowned. I knew they were talking about me. "You owe me a hundred bucks," she all but yelled this time and I pulled away, watching them glare at each other. "What are you guys talking about-"

"Shh Laura!" Tina placed her bony finger on my lips, seizing my speech, while she held a conversation with Dorothy about me right in front of me; "How about she getting pregnant within a year or two years, or even a new wedding?" They were actually betting on what might happen in my life in the near future, directly in front of me. They all but shook their heads in agreement, grinning from ear to ear.

"You guys made a bet on me falling in love with Vincent. How unbelievable!" I folded my arms across my chest looking at them angrily. They high fived each other laughing at me.

"Hold on, I'm not getting pregnant nor am I getting'remarried' " I got up and pointed between the two of them. They looked at me giggling, continuing on with their conversation. "You can't deny these feelings, Laura. You should tell him how you feel. In any case, you're already married. We just need the confirmation of a pregnancy." And get embarrassed for the hundredth time. Not a chance. I'd rather go blind. "No, I'm not saying anything to him. Neither two of you are" I stormed out of the room, leaving them to finish their conversation.