CHAPTER 34

~Some of us have hearts, you know.
Some of us don't
give up on true love.
-Sophie Kinsella

"Mom, why is he looking at you like that?" Vince all but yelled, gaining the man's attention, "Hey you! Why are you looking at my mom like that? " Vince looked deadpan at the man then marched over to his table. "Vince get back here!" Venice yelled, making her way to the table. I sighed, grabbing my coffee and the cupcake. I walked to the table where'my son' was presently staring daggers at the man.

"I'm sorry about my son here. He's a little possessive over me," I said, looking at the man who was staring at me, his eyes raking down my body, and I cringed, not liking that he was doing that in front of my kids. "That's fine, he does seem like that and I've sworn I've seen him before. He seems very familiar," he said, ruffling Vince's hair. He took his hands and bent his fingers. I had to pull him back from his actions. Venice was too quiet for my liking. She would've scolded him for his upbringing, but watched us casually.

"A tough one I see, I'm Jake, nice to-" Vince cut him off, gaining everyone's attention in the café. "She's married and it wasn't nice at all to meet you," Venice this time cut in to address him. "I'm very happy that while your girlfriend is using the bathroom, you are here fawning over our mother, who is married," Vince, who was now holding my handheld, forward, showing my wedding ring on my finger. At that, there were gasps and whispers in the crowded café.

"You little brat-" I held my hand up shaking my head in a no gesture, "I think you've stepped over your limits. My children are in fact right. You were indeed flirting with me while your girlfriend was busy using the restroom. You're a dirty man." I took Vince's hand and headed out of the café. Venice was walking ahead of us. Once we entered the taxi that was waiting for us, I turned to Vince, seeing that he was ready to get scolded.

"What you did back there, young man, is very rude. You're seven and not twenty-five. I'd admit that man is a jerk, but you are already in trouble for telling three other men to go and die or you will rip their eyes out for staring at me and that boy on the plane who threw the cupcake in his face. Don't think that I haven't seen you punch him when we got off the plane. I've seen it all. In addition to that young girl who had spilled water on your shirt by accident, you threw a tantrum and ripped her doll's head off! " I said all in one. He opened his mouth to back himself up but closed it.

"Oh come on mom, I'm protecting you, and in fact, you are married." I rolled my eyes when he smirked at me. The taxi driver was looking at me weirdly and I had the urge to shout at him about what he wanted. All the commotion was giving me a slight headache. "Is there something you need?" I inquired, cocking my brow, "I'm sorry, but you look exactly like Vincent's Johnson's wife, but I've mistaken you. She has brown hair, and well, your hair is black." I hummed looking at my kids who were looking out the window. They had surprised looks all over their faces while pointing out the window in awe. I had to change my appearance. Of course, I didn't have the money to do plastic surgery, but even if I did, I wouldn't.

"Mam, we are here." I was abruptly brought out of my thoughts when the car came to a halt outside the apartment, the apartment I was most familiar with. I gave the driver his money and stood up looking at the window. The pot plant was still there but the tree had grown much taller. Soon it would be planted somewhere far bigger and more environmentally friendly.

"So this is where your father lived? I thought I would be at somewhere better, like a mansion per se, or somewhere cleaner. I'll pass on this. I want to go back home. "He held up his fingers indicating the apartment that was in front of the neighborhood and us that I used to live in. It wasn't all that bad. He was exceeding the limits of influence and I'd had enough for one day. If you wanted to see where I grew up, I'd be lucky to drag him there, but I'm not cruel enough to let my kids see that haunted side of my past.