CHAPTER 40

It is better to be
hated for what you are
than to be loved for what you are not.
-Andre Gide

"I'm just going to visit him at the company that's all," I said to Mary; she was in fact a nice old lady and also protective too. "Remember not to go far," I assured her that it was only the company I was going stepping inside the car.

I step out of the car and look at the 50th-floor store building staring down at me, was it even necessary for him to build it that high? In any case, he's Vincent after all the most powerful and successful man you'll find on the planet.

"You're Laura- Laura Johnson." The secretary stammered almost choking on her words. "Is Vincent in" She seems surprised but answered me anyway.

"Yes he's in but mam-" She was mid-sentence when I walked away towards the office. I stopped in my tracks when the voice of a female startled, the voice of my worst enemy. Scarlett. I covered my mouth taking a step back. What is she doing here and so formally talking to him like it's nothing?

I cocked my ears to the glass door eavesdropping on Vincent's conversation. "No. No... Baby, I love you...she means nothing," Vincent said, trying to pacify someone's anger inside the office. I was confused. Who was he talking to?

"Yes, we'll go anywhere you want today at eight?" he finalizes. Vincent holds Scarlett's hands in his looking at her weirdly, he sighs abruptly and looks up.

"Going somewhere at eight now are we?" I asked, placing my hands on my hips. "Laura, why are you here?" he questions Scarlett snapping her head around in the process it was evident that she was surprised to see me, but behind that pure anger was surging through her veins.

"Going somewhere, Vincent?" And this was the beginning of the end. I was more than maddened: but he began to grow silent, unresponsive as if he did not hear what I said.  He was unfaithful to me: and oh, in such a low way to be with a whore who entirely wants everything he owns.

I stood there while she ran her hands over the table looking at him seductively, I scoffed almost vomiting. Can she act normal for a single minute everyone knows her and the dirty schemes she uses on people.

Such shame, such shame! But he only smiled carelessly now and asked her what she wanted. She had asked for all she got. That he reiterated. And that was all he would do.

With arms folded tightly across his broad chest, he tapped his foot furiously and all the while stared out of the grimy window. This fitfully sunny morning would either see the dawn of his new life or snap his dreams in two.

She could never whisper because her voice always had a million reasons to shout. "Make her leave!"

I'm just about to explode when my Jessica who is considered to be my sister comes in with her usual big smile and a "What’s up babe?" She casts a look from me to Scarlett, who's in the corner of the room beet red with hands stuck firmly on her hips, steam almost flying from her ears.

A muscle twitched involuntarily at the corner of my right eye, my mouth formed a rigid grimace.

She clenches her fists tightly until her nails dig into the palm of her hand, but she barely notices. The only thing I'm really aware of is the sound of my heart throbbing against the cage of my chest.

"The bitch is alive" Jessica stated leaving me in pure rage."So is the baby alive or dead too" What? No, it can't be she caused that crash with so many people losing their lives, and she has the audacity to speak so highly in front of my face without thinking twice?

I watched as the whites in his Vincent's eyes turned a pure black, and as his iris glowered teal. He knew that they did it?

At first, there was silence. A misty haze upon the horizons of my mind. That's where I kept everything, in my mind. That has been until now. I could feel the hard painful lump in the back of my throat as the tears began to form. Slowly my breathing hallowed itself and a small but intense pain struck the top nerve in my head. Before I knew it there was shouting, they were mine, yet, they seemed so distant. Tears streaked my face. Time had fast-forward. I couldn't remember the briefest of moments, all I saw was my own bloody fist, my tear-stained blouse. I even recognized my own voice repeating, "I can't take it anymore."

"You tried to kill me and my fucking unborn child" I screamed at her Vincent who was holding on to me from hitting her twice. "Bitch you broke my nose" I chuckled watching her hold her nose. "That's not the only thing that I'll break next time," I said, stepping out shouting every time I remember what had happened while riding the elevator down to the first floor.

He manipulated me into believing so many things that now I don't know what's real anymore. How can I be sure now? I trusted him with my life, and there were so many lies that maybe I won't be able to distinguish the truth even if it hits, me like a lightning.

He let out an understated sigh and turned to leave, showing he wasn't afraid to turn his back. "Hey I'm fucking talking to you" a few persons looked in our direction, but a glare from Vincent had them doing back their jobs, what an asshole.

"If you come near, me you'll see my sneer. I saw what you did, I saw it. No detail misses my eye, ever, and you knew I would beat you in the end. You could have turned over a new leaf at any time, yet, you did not". I shout at him causing everyone eyes to land in our direction, if you may ask I don't care at all. He entirely used me for what? To warm his bed when they were not available or even worst to break me all over again.

"You're not leaving, and there's no way you're taking my daughter with you, don't you see that you're crazy." There was laughter from that Scarlett and as from that Jessica who was smirking at me with a bloodied tissue in her nose giving me a smirk, and that's where I had enough I clenched my fist and unclenched them completing letting out my anger.

"The sight of you makes me sick from the ends of my hair to the nails on my toes. I don't come to hate easily, but I know evil when I see it. I know. It breaks me to give up on you more than you will ever know. Yet to save what is good, I need no permission from any man and I never did, I'm leaving and that's my final decision." I turn on my heel to leave, but there's one thing I need to do, I stomped on his foot grabbing a hold of his hair tightly in my hand, hearing him groan made me satisfy knowing I've succeeded.

Bringing his ear to my lips, I whispered. "You're a fucking whore, and a whore like yourself doesn't need a family to make you happy." I walked out of the company and found a nearby bench and had a seat for a couple of minutes.

"You seemed bothered my child," I sighed and looked down at my lap wiping away the tears that managed to escape my eyes. "You know it's bad to hold up these feelings; you should let go" I smiled at him turning to face him on the other side of the bench.

"Well you see I have this friend and well her husband or should I say her boyfriend he has a lot of secrets which I- a mean she seems to can't understand. So today I was eavesdropping in his conversation, and it pretty much hurt me badly I know it's going to hurt her." I know this is pretty much wrong to leave out the part that all of what is going is about me but entirely I need to hear some advice. "There seems to be more to this situation why won't you tell me from the beginning, I sucked in a breath and started from the beginning.

All this time that I was talking to this stranger about my life I couldn't stop looking at those mesmerizing blue eyes, entirely when I was talking to him it gave me the courage to open up to him and let everything out; a father figure is a good example of this man.

"My child maybe you're misunderstanding things, this man that you speak about seems to be trying in the phase that he's going true. That friend must really be special to have a man like that not many men in this world would bow down to a woman as if she's a goddess. Learn this, If you don't sacrifice for what you want, what you want will be the sacrifice." He spoke his eyes not leaving mines smiling at me.

"So you mean to say that my friend was blinded by what she saw around her and taking into consideration everything he has been doing for her?" He nodded, my mind wandered off to everything that he said each time he'd make a mistake '" I'm doing this for you, Laura" his voice ran out in my head, and the flashbacks wouldn't stop hitting me. I'm so fucking stupid.

"I'm sorry, but there's something I need to do." I got on my feet shaking the man's hand sprinting out the park.

I stood in my tracks when a van stopped in my way. My eyesight blurred, but not because tears were welling up. Everything became fuzzy; then I saw nothing at all. My consciousness was floating through an empty space filled with a thick static.

"What's- what's happening" throughout the inky space my heartbeats pounded loudly, echoing in my ears, alongside fading pleas for help.

Feeling in my body drained away until finally, all was black.