Chapter 5~ Freedom and pain

"A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes." ~Mark Twain

Sapphire's POV

I wake up with the a searing pain all over my body. It's like being crushed by a crane but strangely enough, I feel like I've been set free from something. Like I've severed the chains that were holding me down from something. Although the pain is unbearable, the feeling of freedom coursing through my body makes it almost worth it.

Last time I felt so relieved was before my parents death. The thought makes me wonder whether this is a dream and in a few minutes I'll wake up to the misery I was living.

I lay in my bed looking around the royal blue walls and posters of cars taped around my room. Since I was a kid I was always obsessed with cars. Mom and dad always wondered where I inherited the passion when it comes to cars. I would tell them maybe my grandparents since I never knew them. They would assure me that my grandparents knew nothing about cars, especially from my father's side.

I never had a specific type of car I liked, every car did it for me. I always loved being smeared in oil and sticking my head under a car's hood. That all changed two years ago. Even though my parents weren't carholics like me, they enjoyed watching me when I'm in my zone and when I ramble about what me and my uncle did today at the garage.

My uncle is a mechanic who loves cars like me if not more. He would always tell me which cars he's fixed and touched in his lifetime. Every time he told me a story of the cars he fixed at his garage, I would become green with envy and he would tease me saying I'm evergreen with envy. That also changed two years ago.

Truth be told, I miss those days. I closed off from many things. I stopped doing all the things I loved because to me they meant nothing. I didn't notice that many people stopped doing most things because I stopped. I always had something special I did with everyone in my life and when I stopped, they also stopped and now I really regret it.

With that thought in mind, I set up my mind that I'll try to be there for my friends and family, like they were for the past two years.

Right after I get up from this bed though...

I sigh and wince at the same time. Every part of my body feels like my bones had broken and reattached themselves again. It hurts like hell. I don't even remember how I got here, I do remember the party yesterday and drinking with Eric and Emily... Then the rest is a blur. If this is what a hangover feels like, never am I ever consuming alcohol ever again in my life.

How do people even cope with such pain??

I'm shook out of my reverie by the door opening. Aunt emerges carrying a bowl of something hot by the steam coming out of it. A smile graces her pink lips as she sees me awake, "Oh honey, you're finally awake. I was going to get worried if you didn't wake up in a few hours." She sighs exasperatedly. I smile at her and try to sit up as she approaches my bed but fail immediately when a groan escapes my lips.

She quickens her steps and places the bowl on the nightstand before gently pressing me down by my shoulders. "Lie down sugar, you're not strong enough to do anything at the moment. It took a toll on you, more than I had anticipated." She mildly scolds and I lie down, closing my eyes as it feels like the energy is being sucked out of me.

"Here sugar, have some soup. I made your favourite. Mushroom with a bit of paprika." She grins at me, her straight white teeth glistening. I smile at her, she know me so well. There's nothing I love more than mushroom soup with paprika, it's my own remedy when I'm sick. Mom always made me some when I was sick and aunt took the role of making it for me when I moved here. To be fair, hers tastes better than mom's but mom's was more soothing 'cause it was made my by mom.

I let aunt feed me since I can't even lift a finger without it feeling like I'm pulling a tendon. After I'm done I involuntarily groan, "What the hell happened to me?" She chuckles but her eyes seem weary. "Oh nothing much, just after party effects. It'll all soon pass." She waves her hand dismissively not meeting my eyes.

I narrow my eyes at her, something seems strange. My aunt is not one to avoid eye contact, she looks you straight in the eyes. There's no way you could lie to her, it's like she has emotional reading powers. She makes the saying 'eyes are the windows to the soul' seem literal.

"Are you sure? I mean Eric parties a lot but never have I seen him like this. Not Emily, Amanda, any of my friends." I state with a question look. "We all handle alcohol differently love. You seem to be the type to pass out and sleep for a long time then your body feels all broken and stuff like you've been hit by a bulldozer over and over and over again. No big deal." She mumbles still not looking at me. That was too graphic though...

I nod my head skeptically at her. She gives me one of her bright smiles and I smile back at her before closing my eyes. "Get some more rest sweety, you need it." Aunt said softly, tucking me in. I smile, "Thanks Aunt." I say and she nods her head with a teary smile and leaves the room, not without telling me to get some sleep of course.

My aunt had been nothing but supportive of me and I'm more than grateful for that. She really tried to be there for me and fill the void of not having a mother and she did really good at that. She was and will always be a mother to me, she means the world to me and I love her to bits.

I know I haven't been the easiest of people in the past two years but she was there for me when I needed her and I'm grateful for that. Even though I'm not one to show how I feel, I want my aunt to know how much I appreciate having her and that I love her. I don't want her to feel as if she failed in raising me or anything because she has done everything in her will to make sure I was happy and well taken care of, even if sometimes her fussing can be annoying, I know she meant well.

God what happened to me yesterday? I've never been so...open in ages. I really need to know what type of alcohol they bought that left me like this. So emotional and free.

Here's another chapter my lovelies! Hope you enjoy. I didn't have much to say, I just wanted you to see the real Sapphire and not the dark and gloomy one. I got chills just by writing the first chapter, who goes two full years living like that?!

Anywho, tell me how it is and please do vote.

Hlahla🍏🍎